Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for university back in January 2014. In June 2014, I decided not to go and emailed university who told me they would be cancelling my application. The year before this, I had done a year at a previous university and hated the course completely and decided not to continue with it not only this but my mental health was not in a good place. I wanted to try a new course at different university; but realisation that I was only doing this so I didn't disappoint my family and accepted that I was in no state to return to education.

I then phoned student finance and explained my situation and they told me they would cancel my application as it had already gone through process and been fully accepted. So after stating they'd cancel it I didn't think about it and got back to trying to sort my life out (having now been assessed with BPD half a year ago).

Thinking about distant future I wondered about returning to higher education. I logged back onto student finances out of curiosity and discovered in payments section all payments to this university were all under status: Approved (2014/2015) this made my anxiety go as I thought these had been cancelled completely along with this application!

I've done one year at Univeristy on a course I hated and know I only get 3 years + bonus year of student loans. But was this application from nearly 2 years ago never cancelled? And will it effect me not being able to fully get a student loan for a 3 year course in the future when I'm feeling ready to return to higher education? Please someone help. I'm so worried about this?

On an added note after finishing the first year at the hated university and reapplying for new course and Univeristy altogether, I was recently told because of not completing the full 3 years at the first Univeristy I'd have to pay grants back? Or is this only if you dropped out before the first year is up? I never received anything about having to pay back?
    Sorry it's so long winded. Thank you for reading. This situation has caused me much stress.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSMicky)
    I applied for university back in January 2014. In June 2014, I decided not to go and emailed university who told me they would be cancelling my application. The year before this, I had done a year at a previous university and hated the course completely and decided not to continue with it not only this but my mental health was not in a good place. I wanted to try a new course at different university; but realisation that I was only doing this so I didn't disappoint my family and accepted that I was in no state to return to education.

I then phoned student finance and explained my situation and they told me they would cancel my application as it had already gone through process and been fully accepted. So after stating they'd cancel it I didn't think about it and got back to trying to sort my life out (having now been assessed with BPD half a year ago).

Thinking about distant future I wondered about returning to higher education. I logged back onto student finances out of curiosity and discovered in payments section all payments to this university were all under status: Approved (2014/2015) this made my anxiety go as I thought these had been cancelled completely along with this application!

I've done one year at Univeristy on a course I hated and know I only get 3 years + bonus year of student loans. But was this application from nearly 2 years ago never cancelled? And will it effect me not being able to fully get a student loan for a 3 year course in the future when I'm feeling ready to return to higher education? Please someone help. I'm so worried about this?

On an added note after finishing the first year at the hated university and reapplying for new course and Univeristy altogether, I was recently told because of not completing the full 3 years at the first Univeristy I'd have to pay grants back? Or is this only if you dropped out before the first year is up? I never received anything about having to pay back?
    Sorry it's so long winded. Thank you for reading. This situation has caused me much stress.
    If you didn't attend the course then not a penny will have been paid - the funding might have been approved but it wasn't paid and so wont count as one of your years of study.

Repaying grants only matters for if you leave partway through the year (and depends on what SLC were told by you and your university). If you haven't heard anything about repaying them then you should be fine.

If your first attempt at univesirty was abandoned for medical reasons then it might be possible to get that written off completely under the Compelling Personal Reasons rules. Call SFE and they'll be able to explain how it works - you'd need to provide evidence the you left for mental health reasons (doctors notes or similar usually).

You're right that you get the length of the course you're applying to plus a gift year if you want to start again. If SFE accept your application for Compelling Personal Reasons for your first year then you would have a gift year if something crops up on your new course that means you need to repeat or restart again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you didn't attend the course then not a penny will have been paid - the funding might have been approved but it wasn't paid and so wont count as one of your years of study.

Repaying grants only matters for if you leave partway through the year (and depends on what SLC were told by you and your university). If you haven't heard anything about repaying them then you should be fine.

If your first attempt at univesirty was abandoned for medical reasons then it might be possible to get that written off completely under the Compelling Personal Reasons rules. Call SFE and they'll be able to explain how it works - you'd need to provide evidence the you left for mental health reasons (doctors notes or similar usually).

You're right that you get the length of the course you're applying to plus a gift year if you want to start again. If SFE accept your application for Compelling Personal Reasons for your first year then you would have a gift year if something crops up on your new course that means you need to repeat or restart again.

Thank you, this has helped so much. For evidence after Finshing year for summer, I didn't receive help until August as I was homeless and needed to get a home for address when applying for local doctors. I applied for and received ESA Support group and have been in it since then. I've had three mental health assessments and counselling sessions, then my assessed diagnosis. Tried different medications with no help to my condition. I'm on waiting list now for CBT. Would this be enough, if I gave them the address and number for GP who has my records. When it comes to when I decide if I want to return to higher education in future I'll get in touch with SFE. Thank you again this has take a lot off my mind.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSMicky)
    Thank you, this has helped so much. For evidence after Finshing year for summer, I didn't receive help until August as I was homeless and needed to get a home for address when applying for local doctors. I applied for and received ESA Support group and have been in it since then. I've had three mental health assessments and counselling sessions, then my assessed diagnosis. Tried different medications with no help to my condition. I'm on waiting list now for CBT. Would this be enough, if I gave them the address and number for GP who has my records. When it comes to when I decide if I want to return to higher education in future I'll get in touch with SFE. Thank you again this has take a lot off my mind.
    There's no way to know if it will be enough but if you ask about the CPR application for your previous study and apply with what evidence you have then they'll either award it (and you'll get your gift year back) or they wont (in which case you've used up your gift year but your new course should still be funded in full).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    There's no way to know if it will be enough but if you ask about the CPR application for your previous study and apply with what evidence you have then they'll either award it (and you'll get your gift year back) or they wont (in which case you've used up your gift year but your new course should still be funded in full).
    Thank you so much for your help and quick replies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.