Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished year 13 and am taking a gap year before hoping to go to university to study music. The courses I am looking at require BBB and Southampton is my favourite. However I am more likely to get BBC because of how aggressive my epilepsy has been in the past year. My epilepsy is uncontrolled and has drastically reduced my cognitive function and caused accompanying memory problems. A-levels have been difficult for me purely because my epilepsy has been so vicious and and my school even encouraged me to take one alevel this summer and take the other two next year to help me cope, which I am following through with. How will I explain my personal circumstances to universities when applying? Also, am I likely to still get a place if I do get a grade below for this course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to entry requirements, universities dont care if you have ebola or epilepsy. You have to meet them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unis will care though if an illness or condition has had an big effect on their ability to perform academically due to things out of their control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Havr you discussed this with your school? It's sometimes possible to apply for mitigating cirumstances.

ReputationRep:
    As per Tiger Rag, your school should be considering a mitigating circumstances application to your exam board.

You could also ask your uni referee to cover it in a positive way e.g. "Despite significant health issues, XYZ has done well to achieve their grades, which do not entirely reflect their academic potential."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    As per Tiger Rag, your school should be considering a mitigating circumstances application to your exam board.

You could also ask your uni referee to cover it in a positive way e.g. "Despite significant health issues, XYZ has done well to achieve their grades, which do not entirely reflect their academic potential."
    Thank you that's a huge help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I find with my epilepsy that being honest and upfront is best. I mentioned it in my personal statement as something that I had had to learn to deal with the consequences of. That way a uni could take it into consideration or not. You could always take an extra year to achieve your a levels if needed. Likewise maybe a course with ongoing assessment might suit you more- I am excelling on my uni course because there are no exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.