Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, Im in a very difficult situation right now. Im just finishing highschool (grade 12). I want to be a Doctor. I can either go to a Canadian university for an undergraduate in biomedicine, and take a risk of getting accepted to medschool. Or I can go straight to medical school in warsaw poland (in english), its a six year program. I have a dog and am very close and attached to her. If I go to Poland I would leave in october and come back to canada in time for summer, i really don't want to leave my dog for so long but the plus side is that i would already be in med school. My sister is already there aswell. Any thoughts/opinions?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Presumably there's some kind of Canadian list of accredited foreign med schools. Is Warsaw on that list? How easy is it to get a job in Canada if you trained abroad? If it is pretty easy then I would go to Poland, but that's just me.

Okorange what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sara10112)
    Hi everyone, Im in a very difficult situation right now. Im just finishing highschool (grade 12). I want to be a Doctor. I can either go to a Canadian university for an undergraduate in biomedicine, and take a risk of getting accepted to medschool. Or I can go straight to medical school in warsaw poland (in english), its a six year program. I have a dog and am very close and attached to her. If I go to Poland I would leave in october and come back to canada in time for summer, i really don't want to leave my dog for so long but the plus side is that i would already be in med school. My sister is already there aswell. Any thoughts/opinions?
    Canada recognizes any medical school on the IMED list as eligible for you to apply to providing you are a Canadian PR or Citizen, however actually getting a position is a much harder proposition.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/529d3f_75b0...07433754b0.pdf

Read this, its a brief info on Canadians studying medicine in Poland. They almost universally want to come back to Canada, however few if any will be able to. Competition is fierce for IMGs and match rates are very likely low.

Schools like UBC already do not allow those studying from non English speaking majority countries (UK, US, Ireland, Aus, South Africa) from even doing an elective at their school. On top of that you will be competing with Canadian IMGs from the UK, Ireland, Australia, US DO etc.

The match rate coming from Ireland is pretty high, however from Poland the numbers are likely not as good.

If you go abroad you have to be willing to work your butt off and be willing to go to the states for residency and you have to be willing to do a specialty that isn't as competitive. If you can't do those things then you definitely should not go abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Its extremely hard to get into medical school here in Canada, but at the same time its hard to get back here once getting an MD degree abroad. The only problem with going to Poland is the fact that I would be going so far for a long time. In my first year I would be away from october to july. I wouldnt see my dog for such a long time and that would just break my heart. I feel like I would also be paranoid all the time thinking about her and if she's thinking when Im coming to play with her. Such a tough decision but I have to make it now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I wouldnt see my dog for such a long time and that would just break my heart. I feel like I would also be paranoid all the time thinking about her and if she's thinking when Im coming to play with her. Such a tough decision but I have to make it now.
    I think your dog should be the least of your concerns when making this decision.

ReputationRep:
    Its extremely hard to get into medical school here in Canada, but at the same time its hard to get back here once getting an MD degree abroad. The only problem with going to Poland is the fact that I would be going so far for a long time. In my first year I would be away from october to july. I wouldnt see my dog for such a long time and that would just break my heart. I feel like I would also be paranoid all the time thinking about her and if she's thinking when Im coming to play with her. Such a tough decision but I have to make it now.
    I think its absolutely essential you are thinking about this now, because if it is something that would cause you real anxiety it could affect your performance or at worst lead to you abandoning the degree. I wouldnt leave my pets to study abroad so I understand. You could always take your dog with you though if you would allow her to be quarantined when you first arrive

ReputationRep:
    Realistically Sara, if your dog is concerning you, you should stay at home. If you were to go to Poland, its not just 1 year its essentially the next 12 years of your life you will be away from home with only brief visits back. Assuming Polish medical school is 6 years, you will probably be able to come home for the first few years but eventually in your clinical years you will be busy enough to not be able to come back home as often. Your chance of matching to a residency near home is miniscule, realistically you will be doing residency away from home, likely in a different country. Following that, you likely won't get an option to come home to be an attending unless you choose family medicine and depending on where you live right now that might not even be feasible.

You really need a serious amount of determination or a serious drive to explore the world to go abroad at such a young age and not really be able to return. Medicine will consume your life if you choose to go into it. Medicine tells you where you will live and takes away your youth. Even now, I watch as friends live where they want to live while your life is essentially determined by a spin of a wheel.

Medicine demands all of your attention and life. It is akin to running on a hamster wheel, the faster you run you improve your chance of success just enough to keep you running on it. By the end of it all, you will have devoted so much time towards medicine, all you will be able to talk about is medicine at social events, it consumes you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.