The Student Room Group

HL Math Exploration Idea - HELP!

Hey guys!
So...it's a long long long story but basically I have a piano exam and tons of deadlines today, and what I was not told is I'm meant to begin my work on my HL Math exploration today.
...I do not have a topic. Or a plan.
WHAT DO I DO?!
My teachers have suggested complex numbers as that automatically ticks the box for 'hard enough for the IB to accept for HL' because only HL covers them...but what do I do? I have to be able to apply whatever it is I'm talking about somehow - e.g. a SL girl recreated Florence Nightinggale's diagrams, and did so with statistics for different pieces of data about IB Math students.

Thank you for your help! I'm genuinely desperate!
Reply 1
Common topics for complex numbers include Mandelbrot set and fractals. Computer scientists use fractal image compression to compress graphics file to less than a quarter of their original size. For example (JPEG and GIF formats).
Fractals are also used to create realistic landscape computer images found in movies and computer games.
Try to think your chosen topic can be used to applied to your community. You may like to check out http://ibsuper.com.sg/top-5-mistakes-students-make-in-their-ib-math-explorations/ before deciding on a topic.

Original post by Do1phinDreamer
Hey guys!
So...it's a long long long story but basically I have a piano exam and tons of deadlines today, and what I was not told is I'm meant to begin my work on my HL Math exploration today.
...I do not have a topic. Or a plan.
WHAT DO I DO?!
My teachers have suggested complex numbers as that automatically ticks the box for 'hard enough for the IB to accept for HL' because only HL covers them...but what do I do? I have to be able to apply whatever it is I'm talking about somehow - e.g. a SL girl recreated Florence Nightinggale's diagrams, and did so with statistics for different pieces of data about IB Math students.

Thank you for your help! I'm genuinely desperate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending