Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone have any tips on OCD relief? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Ive been struggling with my ocd a lot recently. Things had been fairly stable but now its constant and i cant control it.
    Does anyone have anything that helps to relieve the symtoms? However brief it may be!
    Thankyou!
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think a mental health problem isn't something you'll ever get rid of, you'll learn to live with it and manage it. Like the user I tagged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Personally I think a mental health problem isn't something you'll ever get rid of, you'll learn to live with it and manage it. Like the user I tagged
    No me neither tbh.
    I had beem managing it but a few days ago it just went mad and spiralled out of control!
    Yeah she does super well to live it. Her ocd is a lot worse than mine. Shes truely an inspiration!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't really have any tips on how to get relief from OCD other than by giving into compulsions which is something we try and resist when we want to learn to manage it. Its a double edged sword - give into your compulsion and you get temporary relief but then it fuels your obsession even more and after a while, no compulsion helps any more like what happened to me.

I recommend trying to resist your compulsions as much as you can. You don't have to resist every single one but even if you can resist a compulsion every so often, that's teaching your mind to realise there is no danger and you don't have to carry out a ritual to be safe and it slowly over time it helps you feel more comfortable with the panic OCD makes you feel but it's a long road and I still slip up from time to time with it.

I see you've been struggling a lot more than usual with your OCD. Have you told your GP that its getting worse? I think you need to see someone asap as OCD just spirals out of control if not managed and I don't want you to get as bad as I did have you tried putting the teaching of ERP into practice or is what you learned there not enough during this OCD setback?

One thing I do recommend is adult colouring books. They aren't everyone's cup of tea but they really help me when I'm trying to resist a compulsion or just feel anxious or panicky and at the end of it, I have something to show for my feelings - a pretty looking picture and it reminds me that I can still be productive no matter how crap I'm feeling.

I hope you get this setback under control soon
    Hate to see people struggling with this :hugs: mail me if you need me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I don't really have any tips on how to get relief from OCD other than by giving into compulsions which is something we try and resist when we want to learn to manage it. Its a double edged sword - give into your compulsion and you get temporary relief but then it fuels your obsession even more and after a while, no compulsion helps any more like what happened to me.

I recommend trying to resist your compulsions as much as you can. You don't have to resist every single one but even if you can resist a compulsion every so often, that's teaching your mind to realise there is no danger and you don't have to carry out a ritual to be safe and it slowly over time it helps you feel more comfortable with the panic OCD makes you feel but it's a long road and I still slip up from time to time with it.

I see you've been struggling a lot more than usual with your OCD. Have you told your GP that its getting worse? I think you need to see someone asap as OCD just spirals out of control if not managed and I don't want you to get as bad as I did have you tried putting the teaching of ERP into practice or is what you learned there not enough during this OCD setback?

One thing I do recommend is adult colouring books. They aren't everyone's cup of tea but they really help me when I'm trying to resist a compulsion or just feel anxious or panicky and at the end of it, I have something to show for my feelings - a pretty looking picture and it reminds me that I can still be productive no matter how crap I'm feeling.

I hope you get this setback under control soon
    Hate to see people struggling with this :hugs: mail me if you need me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok then, no worries!
    I do give into compulsions but recently theyve just been coming straight back
    Yes thats very true! Weve just got to break the cycle and hope for the best really!

I do try to resist them but they just dont go away! They just get worse and worse until i do something about it!
    Indeed that is true but it just takes too long for it. I think im worse now than when i started therapy somehow!

Yes i am indeed. The past few days have been awful! Yup i have. They reccomended seeing a psychologist from the NHS but they dont have psychologists so thats them out.
    We recently contacted a private psychologist about seeing her. Shes on holiday until the end of the month but will get in touch then! So hopefully ill be seeing someone soon!
    ERP hasnt been working for me. So i need to find some other method.
    What ive learned is not enough currently.

Ive been meaning to look into that so i shall do so now!
    Ah i see, it helps you and youre doing something productive! Thats very good indeed! I probably give that a go then!

Yes me too! It sucks!
    Ok i shall do!

Thankyou so much for that! I really appreciate it!!!!
    Hope youre well! :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Ah ok then, no worries!
    I do give into compulsions but recently theyve just been coming straight back
    Yes thats very true! Weve just got to break the cycle and hope for the best really!

I do try to resist them but they just dont go away! They just get worse and worse until i do something about it!
    Indeed that is true but it just takes too long for it. I think im worse now than when i started therapy somehow!

Yes i am indeed. The past few days have been awful! Yup i have. They reccomended seeing a psychologist from the NHS but they dont have psychologists so thats them out.
    We recently contacted a private psychologist about seeing her. Shes on holiday until the end of the month but will get in touch then! So hopefully ill be seeing someone soon!
    ERP hasnt been working for me. So i need to find some other method.
    What ive learned is not enough currently.

Ive been meaning to look into that so i shall do so now!
    Ah i see, it helps you and youre doing something productive! Thats very good indeed! I probably give that a go then!

Yes me too! It sucks!
    Ok i shall do!

Thankyou so much for that! I really appreciate it!!!!
    Hope youre well! :hugs:
    Good luck with the private psychologist I had to go down the private road last year but it was too expensive for me as the only income I was getting was ESA. She was more of a counsellor though than a psychologist so she never really helped but from what I've read, psychologists are well trained to deal with OCD I'm still waiting to hear back about my referral to one.

Has anything happened over the last few days that's made your OCD worse or does it just flare up on its own out the blue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the private psychologist I had to go down the private road last year but it was too expensive for me as the only income I was getting was ESA. She was more of a counsellor though than a psychologist so she never really helped but from what I've read, psychologists are well trained to deal with OCD I'm still waiting to hear back about my referral to one.

Has anything happened over the last few days that's made your OCD worse or does it just flare up on its own out the blue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thankyou!!!
    Ah im sorry to hear that the cost was an issue. I hope everything will be good with your new therapist!!
    I dont see the point in councelling for OCD. I dont see how it helps tbh.
    Ah well im glad to hear that theyre trained for it!!
    Ah ok then! I hope its all good news!!!

Well this is gonna sound a bit stupid but ill say it anyway.
    I had to 3D print some things at college recently and the tutor touched my memory stick (it messes me up when people touch my stuff) and a few days ago i went to use it and then realized (whilst typing on the laptop) what had happened. I get this horrible feeling on me and its everywhere now. I just cant seem to get it off me fully.
    Thats what happened.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Thankyou!!!
    Ah im sorry to hear that the cost was an issue. I hope everything will be good with your new therapist!!
    I dont see the point in councelling for OCD. I dont see how it helps tbh.
    Ah well im glad to hear that theyre trained for it!!
    Ah ok then! I hope its all good news!!!

Well this is gonna sound a bit stupid but ill say it anyway.
    I had to 3D print some things at college recently and the tutor touched my memory stick (it messes me up when people touch my stuff) and a few days ago i went to use it and then realized (whilst typing on the laptop) what had happened. I get this horrible feeling on me and its everywhere now. I just cant seem to get it off me fully.
    Thats what happened.
    Doesn't sound silly at all. The situation you described is a very common one for people with germ related contamination fears with OCD so beat yourself up for feeling that. Similar situations have set me off when I have believed people to have harmful germs, drugs or toxins on them too.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound silly at all. The situation you described is a very common one for people with germ related contamination fears with OCD so beat yourself up for feeling that. Similar situations have set me off when I have believed people to have harmful germs, drugs or toxins on them too.
    Apologies for the late response. Been at college giving a presentation.
    Ah ok well im rather suprised by that tbh.
    Its still gone way out of control!
    Aw im sorry to hear that!
    Ah that must suck then! I really do hope that you can overcome your issues and live the happy life you deserve!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Take an ice cold shower?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Take an ice cold shower?
    Hmm maybe that could work.
    Ill try that!
    Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.