Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going to sit for Edexcel IAL FM in january of 2017 as a private candidate having done CIE A level Maths(finishing nov 2016).

Will the entire month of december, a week of november (after exams finish) and probly a week in january ( depends on schedule) be enough to complete the A2 syllabus or should i just do the AS ?

I would deem myself quite a capable student in maths having gotten and A* in maths and A in Additional Maths at gcse as well as A in as maths.

Thanks everyone in advance for your advice and help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    I am going to sit for Edexcel IAL FM in january of 2017 as a private candidate having done CIE A level Maths(finishing nov 2016).

Will the entire month of december, a week of november (after exams finish) and probly a week in january ( depends on schedule) be enough to complete the A2 syllabus or should i just do the AS ?

I would deem myself quite a capable student in maths having gotten and A* in maths and A in Additional Maths at gcse as well as A in as maths.

Thanks everyone in advance for your advice and help.
    Why don't you just start it in the summer holidays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techfan42)
    Why don't you just start it in the summer holidays?
    Im not from the UK but anyways do u mean summer 2016 ? We sit our exams in nov so i have A2 Maths, Physics and Computer science to do still.

ReputationRep:
    Im not from the UK but anyways do u mean summer 2016 ? We sit our exams in nov so i have A2 Maths, Physics and Computer science to do still.
    I mean, if you're worried about the timing, and I assume you'll have your summer 2016 holidays coming, which is almost three months, so just start studying FM during that time

ReputationRep:
    I mean, if you're worried about the timing, and I assume you'll have your summer 2016 holidays coming, which is almost three months, so just start studying FM during that time
    We dont have the entire summer for holidays, just 2 weeks. Not a 4 seasons country so yeah. But yeah some of the syllabus overlaps with our A2 maths syllabus so i got like 30% of most of the modules covered already. Just wondered whether it will be even physically possible to study the entire A2 and do past year questions (4 years worth mayb) in that one month span

ReputationRep:
    We dont have the entire summer for holidays, just 2 weeks. Not a 4 seasons country so yeah. But yeah some of the syllabus overlaps with our A2 maths syllabus so i got like 30% of most of the modules covered already. Just wondered whether it will be even physically possible to study the entire A2 and do past year questions (4 years worth mayb) in that one month span
    Which modules are you going to be covering?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you can get the credit transfer?

Are you aware that you can't do a full FM A-level in January as F2 and F3 are only available in June?

ReputationRep:
    Which modules are you going to be covering?
    The ones im going for are FP1, FP2, FP3, M1, M2, M3 or S1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Are you sure you can get the credit transfer?

Are you aware that you can't do a full FM A-level in January as F2 and F3 are only available in June?
    Wdym by credit transfer? Oh, i didnt know that. Damn. Thanks. Guess ill just do AS and some mechanics modules and see how it goes. Will the january results be out in time for june registration ?

ReputationRep:
    I would say a week for each module is good enough, you'll be able to finish FP1 easily, but don't know about the Mechanics modules, since I didn't take them

ReputationRep:
    I would say a week for each module is good enough, you'll be able to finish FP1 easily, but don't know about the Mechanics modules, since I didn't take them
    Alright thanks alot, Mechanics should be fine as ive done physics.

I self taught FP1, M1 and M2 within the time frame you're talking about. I also had to study for 5 other A2 subjects though which minimised the time I had available. If you won't have school work and can focus solely on FM, then yeah, you could teach yourself to a high standard. If you're a busy person I wouldn't reccomend it though, it's all good getting through the spec but actually applying your knowledge to questions takes practice, especially in mechanics modules

ReputationRep:
    Wdym by credit transfer?
    Edexcel IAL Further Mathematics depends on you having some sort of A-level Mathematics qualification (which you obviously have) either being taking concurrently or previously.

There are a few issues with changing boards, which is what I meant by "transferring credits". Maybe it's best I quote the specification for you:

(Original post by Edexcel IAL Mathematics Specification)
    Students who have obtained or who are in the process of obtaining IAL in Mathematics with an awarding body other than Pearson should contact the awarding body to check requirements for IAL Further Mathematics.
    You should definitely contact CIE and Edexcel before taking this decision - especially because you might not be awarded a Further Mathematics grade at the end of it all.

Oh, i didnt know that. Damn. Thanks. Guess ill just do AS and some mechanics modules and see how it goes. Will the january results be out in time for june registration ?
    Yep, that's feasible - you can do F1, S1, S2, M1 to M3, C12, C34 and D1 in January, so it's possible to do 5 out of 6 modules and leave one FP module for June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rxns_00)
    I self taught FP1, M1 and M2 within the time frame you're talking about. I also had to study for 5 other A2 subjects though which minimised the time I had available. If you won't have school work and can focus solely on FM, then yeah, you could teach yourself to a high standard. If you're a busy person I wouldn't reccomend it though, it's all good getting through the spec but actually applying your knowledge to questions takes practice, especially in mechanics modules
    Alright, yeah i wont be too busy. Hanging out with friends from time to time and just chilling at home all day, might as well put the time to use. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel IAL Further Mathematics depends on you having some sort of A-level Mathematics qualification (which you obviously have) either being taking concurrently or previously.

There are a few issues with changing boards, which is what I meant by "transferring credits". Maybe it's best I quote the specification for you:
    I didnt know that, i just thought ill be able to take the FM like any other A level. Yeah please do so, im still abit confused about what u actually mean.

vYou should definitely contact CIE and Edexcel before taking this decision - especially because you might not be awarded a Further Mathematics grade at the end of it all.
    Yeah i will contact them and ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.