The Student Room Group

Decided to leave Islam after Orlando attack. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
Sigh. Every ex-muslim was brainwashed by the media, isn't?

No, not every Muslim. Unless you have a legitimate reason and have actually done your research then fair enough thats your decision, but to base it on the media is funny tbh, just goes to show the effects of the media right.
Original post by nverjvlev
The shooter wasn't religious at all, the media just jump at any opportunity to label Muslims as terrorists, even if they don't actually follow Islam.

I mean he did phone up and claim he was an ISIS fighter...probably doesn't help.
Reply 62
As a Muslim who's studied my own faith in great detail, it makes me upset when people who don't know a great deal about it come to the conclusion that it's a religion filled with hate and opression. Couldn't be further from the truth. Don't read quotes out of context online, go direct to the source. Pick up a good translation of the quran and read it for yourself. If you can't be bothered there are plenty of videos on youtube of those who have properly studied their faith (e.g.nouman ali khan) explaining the ayah properly, rather than some anti Islam website pulling out random, out of context passages to justify their views. If after all of that, you still come to the same conclusion, then your choice.
Original post by Elivercury
I mean he did phone up and claim he was an ISIS fighter...probably doesn't help.

and good journalism involves blindly making assumptions and failing to research or check the facts that you're feeding the public???

it's still a valid point, just feels like another symptom of rampant Islamaphobia
(edited 7 years ago)

So could anyone? Does that make them Muslim?
Original post by nverjvlev
and good journalism involves blindly making assumptions and failing to research or check the facts that you're feeding the public???

Should they have checked his Islam registration card?

If you phone up claiming to be a muslim and part of a "muslim" terrorist organisation, then go and commit a terror act, the rational assumption is that you are a muslim and a terrorist.

I fully understand that such people are working with a twisted interpretations and are not considered to be "true muslims", but ultimately if he identifies as a muslim then it's not unreasonable for journalists to refer to him as such.
Original post by Cakey_101
So could anyone? Does that make them Muslim?

What "makes" someone a muslim exactly? Is there a test? Is it graded A-F or just a pass fail distinction style qualification?
Good decision, I'm happy for you :yep:
Original post by Jayce.x
Are you not following any religion now? I don't think there's a religion that supports the LGBTQ+ community.

You do know that Omar Mateen is probably in hell, right? Taking someone's life isn't allowed either!

Taking someone's life is
The only people who eat up all the crap spewed by the media are those who are seeking confirmation for their pre-existing biases. And it is all crap. Just look at the way the intensity of reporting of the event dramatically shifted once his sexuality came to light. The story no longer fits the narrative, they drop it.

Muslims know what Islam is and who Muslims are. The attack in Orlando was neither Islam nor Muslim. All the hatred and negativity that is intended to push us away from our faith only brings us closer to it. Growing up, I was never all that religious but as I got older and the years went by and I saw just how much hatred the rest of the world has for Muslims and how deeply we're reviled and demonised, it made me want to cling on to the faith even more. We are the oppressed. The underdogs. Try all you want to take our faith from us, it only makes us want it more.

Hasbanullah wa ni'mal wakil (Allah alone is sufficient for us, and the best of guardians)
Original post by Anonymous
The only people who eat up all the crap spewed by the media are those who are seeking confirmation for their pre-existing biases. And it is all crap. Just look at the way the intensity of reporting of the event dramatically shifted once his sexuality came to light. The story no longer fits the narrative, they drop it.

Muslims know what Islam is and who Muslims are. The attack in Orlando was neither Islam nor Muslim. All the hatred and negativity that is intended to push us away from our faith only brings us closer to it. Growing up, I was never all that religious but as I got older and the years went by and I saw just how much hatred the rest of the world has for Muslims and how deeply we're reviled and demonised, it made me want to cling on to the faith even more. We are the oppressed. The underdogs. Try all you want to take our faith from us, it only makes us want it more.

Hasbanullah wa ni'mal wakil (Allah alone is sufficient for us, and the best of guardians)

I could rep this a million times.
Cool, do what you want. I'm Muslim and killing is not allowed and anyone who condones it is disgusting unless it's self defence
What "makes" someone a muslim exactly? Is there a test? Is it graded A-F or just a pass fail distinction style qualification?

Someone that doesnt kill thats for a start.
Reply 73
Original post by Kajsajbas
Taking someone's life is

Taking a life of one human regardless of their religion is as if killing the entire humankind. It's in the Qur'an.

This is absolutely wonderful.
Original post by shivam_chauhan
This is why there are so many extremists in the world :frown: No one is out to get you - it is the way the people in the religion act and behave

No it's what those outside the religion perceive the majority of Muslims to be acting and behaving that way, based on the few who actually do.
Reply 76
So much no true scotsman ITT
Original post by Cakey_101
Someone that doesnt kill thats for a start.

Okay, how about alcohol, non-halal meat and the umpteen other things muslims aren't supposed to do? While obviously none of these compare to killing, I hope you can recognise the point that if you start assessing people on how closely they follow the faith, you'll probably judge that 90%+ of muslims "aren't muslim".

Incidentally, if we weren't talking about a mass murderer, I imagine the concept of denying someone's faith because they don't meet your strict criteria would be considered unreasonable and highly intolerant.

This of course does not mean that Islam or muslims are automatically all murderers or terrorists and I don't believe that the average person should be forced to pay for extremists of any denomination, however you can't complain that someone who identifies as a muslim is called a muslim just because they've done some (horrifically) bad things that you don't like/agree with (for obvious sane reasons).
I've chosen to leave the Islamic faith following the attack on the gay club 4 days ago.

There is nothing wrong with the religion. If anyone is to blame it is the indivdual who's perception of Islam is obviously wrong. The terrorist has done no noble deed by carrying out this attack, nor is it in the name of Islam, all he has done is added more fuel to the fire. Don't leave the religion because of someone else's views, if you leave it, do it because you find a fault in the religion, which I highly doubt will happen.

Muslims are not oppressed, that is just laughable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending