how useful is a diploma?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Lee86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
would it be of any use along side a degree............?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What do you mean exactly?
Lee86
Rep:
?
well im off to do a degree but how useful would it be to me in say employment if i did a diploma along side?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lee86)
well im off to do a degree but how useful would it be to me in say employment if i did a diploma along side?
What would the dimploma be in? Would it be in an area completley unrelated to your degree?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think you will be taking ontoo much to honest if you did them both at the same time.
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You could do a diploma as a postgraduate qualification. Some employers survey i read about said that postgraduate qualifications don't really make a difference, it depends what career you want to go into. A degree and then a legal diploma would be good for going into law.
AcerBen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was going to do a Spanish diploma, something to do with the Spanish government or something. Took the lessons but didn't take the exam because I knew I'd fail.

The whole point though was getting extra lessons and it looked good on my personal statement. It worked anyway !
Lee86
Rep:
?
well i am doing a degree in physics. and the diploma would be in something like economics as im thinkin of going into an investment banking type career plus its something that i'm interested in as opposed to something im good at so i thought it might be nice
currency_westlake
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A lot of diploma's can be upgraded to a MA or MSc with a dissertation - and obviously a master's holds quite a lot of value.
musicman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think your degree would be sufficient and it might get a bit much, though I was thinking of taking a language diploma alongside my degree cos I don't wanna lose the skill. You could always give your diploma a go though!! No harm in trying!
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You should do a degree instead of a diploma and a degree together. It will be too much for you. Degree is better than a diploma.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tomhitchings)
A lot of diploma's can be upgraded to a MA or MSc with a dissertation - and obviously a master's holds quite a lot of value.
Only if it's a post grad diploma.

An undergraduate diploma is generally the first 2 years of a degree course so studying for a diploma and a degree at the same time would be like taking 2 full time degrees for the first 2 years.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (92)
13.79%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (56)
8.4%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (86)
12.89%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (80)
11.99%
Other reasons are stopping me going (86)
12.89%
Nothing is stopping me going (267)
40.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed