Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

how useful is a diploma? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    would it be of any use along side a degree............?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean exactly?

ReputationRep:
    well im off to do a degree but how useful would it be to me in say employment if i did a diploma along side?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee86)
    well im off to do a degree but how useful would it be to me in say employment if i did a diploma along side?
    What would the dimploma be in? Would it be in an area completley unrelated to your degree?

ReputationRep:
    I think you will be taking ontoo much to honest if you did them both at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    You could do a diploma as a postgraduate qualification. Some employers survey i read about said that postgraduate qualifications don't really make a difference, it depends what career you want to go into. A degree and then a legal diploma would be good for going into law.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to do a Spanish diploma, something to do with the Spanish government or something. Took the lessons but didn't take the exam because I knew I'd fail.

The whole point though was getting extra lessons and it looked good on my personal statement. It worked anyway !

ReputationRep:
    well i am doing a degree in physics. and the diploma would be in something like economics as im thinkin of going into an investment banking type career plus its something that i'm interested in as opposed to something im good at so i thought it might be nice

ReputationRep:
    A lot of diploma's can be upgraded to a MA or MSc with a dissertation - and obviously a master's holds quite a lot of value.

ReputationRep:
    I think your degree would be sufficient and it might get a bit much, though I was thinking of taking a language diploma alongside my degree cos I don't wanna lose the skill. You could always give your diploma a go though!! No harm in trying!

ReputationRep:
    You should do a degree instead of a diploma and a degree together. It will be too much for you. Degree is better than a diploma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    A lot of diploma's can be upgraded to a MA or MSc with a dissertation - and obviously a master's holds quite a lot of value.
    Only if it's a post grad diploma.

An undergraduate diploma is generally the first 2 years of a degree course so studying for a diploma and a degree at the same time would be like taking 2 full time degrees for the first 2 years.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.