Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My 18 year old brother has a number of "habits" which my family have always dismissed out of hand or made a joke of, but I am starting to be concerned.

He washes his hands excessively. It takes him at least 20 minutes to wash his hands and he seems to have some sort of ritual he has to complete. He washes his hands very frequently too - often just 5 minutes after last doing so and gets very upset if interrupted.

He gets extremely aggravated about tiny marks or scratches which no one else can see on his possessions e.g. His watch, phone screen, even a wooden spoon. He will obsess about them and spend hours trying to fix them. This often escalates into anger and displays of banging and shouting.

Everything in his room has to be in a very particular order. He will not allow my mum to move anything in order to clean. Instead, he takes a long time moving everything himself and carefully reorganising everything after she is done.

In his work, he won't cross anything out or use correcting fluid. If he makes a mistake, he has to start again completely from scratch. Again, this is time consuming and seems to cause him a lot of angst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    My 18 year old brother has a number of "habits" which my family have always dismissed out of hand or made a joke of, but I am starting to be concerned.

He washes his hands excessively. It takes him at least 20 minutes to wash his hands and he seems to have some sort of ritual he has to complete. He washes his hands very frequently too - often just 5 minutes after last doing so and gets very upset if interrupted.

He gets extremely aggravated about tiny marks or scratches which no one else can see on his possessions e.g. His watch, phone screen, even a wooden spoon. He will obsess about them and spend hours trying to fix them. This often escalates into anger and displays of banging and shouting.

Everything in his room has to be in a very particular order. He will not allow my mum to move anything in order to clean. Instead, he takes a long time moving everything himself and carefully reorganising everything after she is done.

In his work, he won't cross anything out or use correcting fluid. If he makes a mistake, he has to start again completely from scratch. Again, this is time consuming and seems to cause him a lot of angst.
    Sounds like it. I think most of us have 'ocd', but in a few cases it is very severe.

(Original post by Ciel.)
    Sounds like it. I think most of us have 'ocd', but in a few cases it is very severe.
    Thanks. I guess I always wondered if it was just me being paranoid. It seems to make him so anxious (which is then expressed in violent anger); I wish there was a way I could help but I'd never dare suggest he might have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I guess I always wondered if it was just me being paranoid. It seems to make him so anxious (which is then expressed in violent anger); I wish there was a way I could help but I'd never dare suggest he might have a problem.
    He probably knows already but doesn't know what to do about it. There are therapies for ocd but I heard that they don't always help, and often one obsession just becomes replaced with another. As long as it doesn't interfere with his life too much, I think he will be fine.

(Original post by Ciel.)
    He probably knows already but doesn't know what to do about it. There are therapies for ocd but I heard that they don't always help, and often one obsession just becomes replaced with another. As long as it doesn't interfere with his life too much, I think he will be fine.
    Thanks for your help. It seems to be worse when he is stressed about other things. As he's currently sitting his A2 exams, it's worse than ever right now. I'm hoping he will be able to calm down a bit once the exams are over.

ReputationRep:

sounds like it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does sound like he could be suffering from OCD or OCPD. If it is causing him a lot of distress and his compulsions take up a lot of time during the day then its important he sees a doctor to get an official diagnosis and start a form of treatment.

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Yes it does sound like he could be suffering from OCD or OCPD. If it is causing him a lot of distress and his compulsions take up a lot of time during the day then its important he sees a doctor to get an official diagnosis and start a form of treatment.
    (Original post by bookworm246love)
    sounds like it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it won't cause him too much stress at uni next year.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Thanks for your help. It seems to be worse when he is stressed about other things. As he's currently sitting his A2 exams, it's worse than ever right now. I'm hoping he will be able to calm down a bit once the exams are over.
    From experience, that's normal. Stressful situations do make it worse.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    From experience, that's normal. Stressful situations do make it worse.
    Thanks. Just to clarify: Normal for anyone, or normal for someone with OCD?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.