Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone ever used either of the above for accommodation before? Basically I didn't apply in time to be guaranteed accommodation from BU so I was looking into the alternative accommodation section on the BU website. Just wanted to explore all my options as I didn't want to wait until the 19th August for the BU Accommodation slot If there is a chance I wouldn't be able to get a place. Both Lulworth House and Mercury Hose look pretty nice so I was just after some other opinions. Are they still as social? Do as many people use them as other accommodation blocks the university runs?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesCS)
    Anyone ever used either of the above for accommodation before? Basically I didn't apply in time to be guaranteed accommodation from BU so I was looking into the alternative accommodation section on the BU website. Just wanted to explore all my options as I didn't want to wait until the 19th August for the BU Accommodation slot If there is a chance I wouldn't be able to get a place. Both Lulworth House and Mercury Hose look pretty nice so I was just after some other opinions. Are they still as social? Do as many people use them as other accommodation blocks the university runs?

Cheers.
    Hi JamesCS,

My name is Steve and I'm a student ambassador for BU here on The Student Room.

Whilst I didn't stay in any of the accommodation you've mentioned, I did stay in private lettings which is also different to the BU associated halls. When it comes to alternative accommodation and the social side of things, I think if you're proactive it won't be a problem at all. You'll meet people at Fresher's Week events, in your seminar and at any clubs and societies that you join; so as soon as you make those connections you'll be able to tap into any events that they're going to!

What's great about Mercury is that it's right in the centre of town, so you might even find that people will come to you since you're in such a good location! I've read quite a few posts on here recently about people potentially taking the alternative accommodation option, so I'm sure there'll be a community within the accommodation you've mentioned. I'll start a thread now for those considering it to make contact.

Let me know if I can help out with any other queries!

Steve Moss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesCS)

Cheers.
    Mercury House is definitely social enough, but like Steve said, most of your "true" friends you'll actually make outside of halls in the societies you join and on your course because those are the people you share similar interests with! One of the perks of living in Mercury is that your friends don't have to sign in or out when they come to visit, and the staff is a lot less strict about vising times/ frequency. I don't know anything about Lulworth House so I can't comment on that. What I do know is how clean and organised Mercury House looks, and that it is a hall with almost 10 floors- so you don't need to worry about being on your own

If you do decide to go with Mercury House, I am giving away my room since I won't be needing it for next year. If you're interested and message me, I can walk you through the booking process and help you make all necessary arrangements with the staff onsite.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the responses, sounds really decent. I'll shoot you a message

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.