Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving instructor still hasn't told me to book my test Watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story short I started driving lessons 2 years ago but had to stop as I was unable to afford them. Must have had about 20 lessons then and February this year I picked up where I left off. I'm at the point now where driving feels natural considering I only have an hour lesson a week. My driving isn't perfect but I feel like it would improve more when I have a full license since I think it's just lack of experience. The problem isn't really the lessons it's more the fact that the wait for a driving test in my area is 3 months and despite this he still hasn't told me to book my test. I would get that if it was a 2/3 week wait as I might not be ready by then, but 3 months (nearly 4 months as more and more dates are getting booked up) is a long time to wait when he could potentially tell me I'm ready in my next lesson. That's another £300 - £400 on driving lessons. My instructor is really good, he taught my brothers, dad and uncle so I know that he knows what he is doing but I'm getting so frustrated not being able to do anything for myself and not being able to see friends because I'm unable to drive. Is my instructor doing this on purpose? I was considering booking my test anyway, but I don't want to book it without knowing his availability (he doesn't block book and I don't think he books that far in advance but I don't know) I'm just so frustrated because I'm almost ready and I'm going to end up waiting so much longer.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie-12)
    Long story short I started driving lessons 2 years ago but had to stop as I was unable to afford them. Must have had about 20 lessons then and February this year I picked up where I left off. I'm at the point now where driving feels natural considering I only have an hour lesson a week. My driving isn't perfect but I feel like it would improve more when I have a full license since I think it's just lack of experience. The problem isn't really the lessons it's more the fact that the wait for a driving test in my area is 3 months and despite this he still hasn't told me to book my test. I would get that if it was a 2/3 week wait as I might not be ready by then, but 3 months (nearly 4 months as more and more dates are getting booked up) is a long time to wait when he could potentially tell me I'm ready in my next lesson. That's another £300 - £400 on driving lessons. My instructor is really good, he taught my brothers, dad and uncle so I know that he knows what he is doing but I'm getting so frustrated not being able to do anything for myself and not being able to see friends because I'm unable to drive. Is my instructor doing this on purpose? I was considering booking my test anyway, but I don't want to book it without knowing his availability (he doesn't block book and I don't think he books that far in advance but I don't know) I'm just so frustrated because I'm almost ready and I'm going to end up waiting so much longer.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

If you feel frustrated, I'd ask him explicitly if you can. I know its awkward but honestly my old instructor wasted so much of my time until I realised I was just doing the same area and roundabout for 5 lessons in a row. As soon as he knew I wanted to do my test, he started adding manoeuvres and being more critical of my driving. Your instructor may be similar, (except he's good and my old one was just there to shout at me and make a profit) he's good but sometimes he needs a gentle push to help him see what you're thinking.

Also, worst case he says you're not ready you can ask him to pick up on your weaknesses so you can be ready sooner.

I haven't done my test yet so I don't know if it paid off but otherwise he may just take you for a ride. Hope it goes well.

ReputationRep:
    It might be because he feels you're not quite ready yet?

It's worth asking in your next lesson, and see what he says. And you can ask what you need to do to improve so you are up to test standard

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.