Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going to an open day on the 18th of June this Saturday and my dad needs to send an email to my housemaster and the headmaster to let them know i'm out of the boarding house for the weekend and that i'm going to an open day.

So i told this to my dad and he refuses so far to go and search this up for himself
    The conversation so far is a follows.

me:You must send an email by the end of today to xxxxx and yyyyy saying i'm out for the weekend(to xxxxx) and to request that i can leave for an open day for the university of leeds(to yyyy)

dad:I do not have his email address

me: search on the lrgs website

dad:can you dictate the email for me?

so yea big facepalm and he refuses to do something as small as this.

What at least 1 person will point out is "Well it's only something small so it's no harm to spend a few mintues telling your dad this stuff."
    That is a problem because the way my dad works is he gets you to do little things and he will get you to do more and more little things for him even though he can do them himself and eventually you'll end up being a servant to him, doing everything single little things he asks.(which is extremely often)(for example he'll ask me how to spell a word when he has his computer on in front of him on google and he has a dictionary right next to him.

That's the problem because i'll eventually end up doing every single little thing for him and i don't want to do that and i don't have time to spend doing something as menial as that.

The question is, do i tell him the email or do i just tell him to search it up himself which is easily accessible.

You yourself and test this out and find how long it takes to find out how to email a teacher from my school, all information is on this website somewhere.
    https://www.lrgs.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fartinugget)
    So I'm going to an open day on the 18th of June this Saturday and my dad needs to send an email to my housemaster and the headmaster to let them know i'm out of the boarding house for the weekend and that i'm going to an open day.

So i told this to my dad and he refuses so far to go and search this up for himself

me:You must send an email by the end of today to xxxxx and yyyyy saying i'm out for the weekend(to xxxxx) and to request that i can leave for an open day for the university of leeds(to yyyy)

What at least 1 person will point out is "Well it's only something small so it's no harm to spend a few mintues telling your dad this stuff."
    That is a problem because the way my dad works is he gets you to do little things and he will get you to do more and more little things for him even though he can do them himself and eventually you'll end up being a servant to him, doing everything single little things he asks.(which is extremely often)(for example he'll ask me how to spell a word when he has his computer on in front of him on google and he has a dictionary right next to him.

That's the problem because i'll eventually end up doing every single little thing for him and i don't want to do that and i don't have time to spend doing something as menial as that.

The question is, do i tell him the email or do i just tell him to search it up himself which is easily accessible.

You yourself and test this out and find how long it takes to find out how to email a teacher from my school, all information is on this website somewhere.
    JUST GIVE HIM THE EMAIL!!!!
    THE QUICKER THE BETTER!!
    GO GO GO.
    It's only take a few seconds.

Besides, he's your dad, just do what he says.

ReputationRep:

Stop whining and give him the email. Ultimately this is something you want/need, so doing otherwise would be to cut your nose off to spite your face. Do things for yourself and avoid relying on other people.

In an ideal world your father would just do things without hand-holding, but that isn't the world we live in so I suggest you just get onto it. You'll be able to/will have to do everything yourself shortly, so may as well get into the habit now.

Best of luck with the open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CorpusLuteum)
    JUST GIVE HIM THE EMAIL!!!!
    THE QUICKER THE BETTER!!
    GO GO GO.
    It's only take a few seconds.

Besides, he's your dad, just do what he says.
    hmmmm slave it is then.....
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Stop whining and give him the email. Ultimately this is something you want/need, so doing otherwise would be to cut your nose off to spite your face. Do things for yourself and avoid relying on other people.

In an ideal world your father would just do things without hand-holding, but that isn't the world we live in so I suggest you just get onto it. You'll be able to/will have to do everything yourself shortly, so may as well get into the habit now.

Best of luck with the open day.
    I can't send a parent email because i'm not a parent, besides you're generally on the internet when you send an email
    I can do almost everything around the house, soon i'll be able to do everything around the house(this summer) so him just telling me to do more stuff just annoys me when he can easily do it himself

seems like another slave option fine i'll tell him then

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm slave it is then.....

I can't send a parent email because i'm not a parent, besides you're generally on the internet when you send an email
    I can do almost everything around the house, soon i'll be able to do everything around the house(this summer) so him just telling me to do more stuff just annoys me when he can easily do it himself

seems like another slave option fine i'll tell him then
    No, you can't send the email. You can compose the email and send it to him with the email address he needs to forward it to. This is the same amount of work as sending it yourself.

And seriously stop referring to yourself as a slave, it's utterly ridiculous. If it's so arduous to provide a simple email, don't do it. It's you who misses out.

ReputationRep:
    No, you can't send the email. You can compose the email and send it to him with the email address he needs to forward it to. This is the same amount of work as sending it yourself.

And seriously stop referring to yourself as a slave, it's utterly ridiculous. If it's so arduous to provide a simple email, don't do it. It's you who misses out.
    That's just what's he's asked me to do, compose an email for him and send it to him. Which is stupid and ridiculous because it's so easy to type a few words of consent to say i won't be there for part of the weekend.

I can't send the email yet when he forwards it they'll see my email on it and it won't be accepted..... hmmm i wonder what's wrong with that. I don't know maybe the parent is supposed to string together a few ****ing words to make a short sentence of consent. Why the **** would a school let me give myself consent to do stuff??? That makes no sense.

Yea it is me who misses out and for once it's less of my fault.

ReputationRep:
    That's just what's he's asked me to do, compose an email for him and send it to him. Which is stupid and ridiculous because it's so easy to type a few words of consent to say i won't be there for part of the weekend.

I can't send the email yet when he forwards it they'll see my email on it and it won't be accepted..... hmmm i wonder what's wrong with that. I don't know maybe the parent is supposed to string together a few ****ing words to make a short sentence of consent. Why the **** would a school let me give myself consent to do stuff??? That makes no sense.

Yea it is me who misses out and for once it's less of my fault.
    They delete the "forwarding" header and the "FW:" and it looks the same as any other email. Your Dad sounds pretty useless, but crying over it and throwing around ridiculous statements about being a slave won't achieve anything. It's good practice for when you're an adult. Hope you enjoy the open day.

ReputationRep:
    They delete the "forwarding" header and the "FW:" and it looks the same as any other email. Your Dad sounds pretty useless, but crying over it and throwing around ridiculous statements about being a slave won't achieve anything. It's good practice for when you're an adult. Hope you enjoy the open day.
    seriously don't know if you're trolling or not, look here my dad is useless all the time and whenever i ask him to do something he always refuses or does things by about 10% and leaves the rest for you to do, i had it so many times before that i'm fed up of his ********. Everytime is always oh go clean the toilet or oh just cook dinner for your brother and cousin or oh just wash my car and clean the whole drive or spell me this word or search up this for me

and every bloody ****ing time he asks me he's in front of his ****ing computer which is good and he can simply research things himself however actually it's better to ask my son to do all this because he's gonna need this later in life. That's ******** don't give me it's good practise when you're an adult, i've done this ******** for 2 years, i don't want anymore i don't want to spell a ****ing word for him when has had a bloody dictionary or google in front of him, that's pure laziness and no he doesn't work hard, all he does when he's at home(90% of the time he's at home) he just plays that *****y candy crush on his computer and watches films and cook dinner, that's pretty much all he doesn't, maybe occasionally he might wash some clothes but that's it. He doesn't do **** and he needs to learn to ****ing sort his life out. He's been gradually exponentially becoming a mess the day i was born. I seriously wish i wasn't born, i don;t want a life like i do. Yea people have it worse than me but that's them i don't really want my life but that doesn't mean i'm gonna waste it.

ReputationRep:
    seriously don't know if you're trolling or not, look here my dad is useless all the time and whenever i ask him to do something he always refuses or does things by about 10% and leaves the rest for you to do, i had it so many times before that i'm fed up of his ********. Everytime is always oh go clean the toilet or oh just cook dinner for your brother and cousin or oh just wash my car and clean the whole drive or spell me this word or search up this for me

and every bloody ****ing time he asks me he's in front of his ****ing computer which is good and he can simply research things himself however actually it's better to ask my son to do all this because he's gonna need this later in life. That's ******** don't give me it's good practise when you're an adult, i've done this ******** for 2 years, i don't want anymore i don't want to spell a ****ing word for him when has had a bloody dictionary or google in front of him, that's pure laziness and no he doesn't work hard, all he does when he's at home(90% of the time he's at home) he just plays that *****y candy crush on his computer and watches films and cook dinner, that's pretty much all he doesn't, maybe occasionally he might wash some clothes but that's it. He doesn't do **** and he needs to learn to ****ing sort his life out. He's been gradually exponentially becoming a mess the day i was born. I seriously wish i wasn't born, i don;t want a life like i do. Yea people have it worse than me but that's them i don't really want my life but that doesn't mean i'm gonna waste it.
    Great. Send the email, go to the open day, move out, never speak to him again, have a nice life.

ReputationRep:
    Great. Send the email, go to the open day, move out, never speak to him again, have a nice life.
    He's finally done it himself.

Such a good thing i can support myself and i'm still 17. I never want to speak to him gain but unfortunately it's a necessity -.-

ReputationRep:
    its not that deep mate, oh my days just send the damn email address

ReputationRep:
    He's finally done it himself.

Such a good thing i can support myself and i'm still 17. I never want to speak to him gain but unfortunately it's a necessity -.-
    I feel for you, I wouldn't want such a terrible parent. As I said, try to look on the bright side that when you HAVE to do everything yourself in a year, you'll already have been doing it for years and will be fully capable. Your colleagues however won't know what has hit them or have a clue.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you, I wouldn't want such a terrible parent. As I said, try to look on the bright side that when you HAVE to do everything yourself in a year, you'll already have been doing it for years and will be fully capable. Your colleagues however won't know what has hit them or have a clue.

Good luck.
    Eugh, i guess i'll help my brother when he's in my dad's care and he has to put up with it.
    Yea at least i will know when the time comes....

ReputationRep:
    Making a mountain out of a molehill...?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.