The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by viddy9
Utterly disgusting comment, up there with the rightwing loons who think this was a false flag perpetrated by the Remain campaign. Your comment scares me, and just proves what I've said above: it's been drilled into you that this is life and death for the country, and so you make the kind of despicable comments that you've just made.

And the post you've just made isn't bigoted? You've just said that you don't care that someone was killed because she disagreed with you politically.

Sorry, I'm sick of people like you: you can't hide behind the "I'm not a bigot, I'm just expressing legitimate concerns" nonsense anymore. You're doing much more than that, and you know it. Trump goes a lot further than simply saying "I'm concerned about immigration". Farage goes a lot further than that. Brexit-supporting England fans causing havoc in France go a lot further than that.

Now, I happen to agree that calling all the peaceful people with these concerns racists and fascists is wrong (though some of them are racists and fascists) and also contributes to a toxic political atmosphere (even if I think that these concerns are utterly misguided given that immigration barely has any negative effect on the labour market for even low-skilled natives), but I'm afraid that the kind of disgusting campaigning going on by many of the Brexiteers has nothing to do with that - they would have done it with or without the so-called "provocation" from the Left.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes, I have 2 exams this afternoon and haven't been to sleep.
People need to stop saying it's all speculation that his motives were political, that he met her by accident, that there was a tussle and he didn't intend to kill her, etc, etc.

Here are the latest summary of witnesses and they fully contradict all of the above assertions. In fact, they clearly show that he was waiting to attack her, that he viciously and directly and repeatedly attacked her and several witnesses now confirm that he was yelling "Britain First", a clear far-Right slogan.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/16/jo-cox-attack-people-screamed-brought-towels-a-77-year-old-tried-to-help-in-the-end-they-laid-floral-tributes
A shopkeeper has claimed that no one shouted “Britain first” as Jo Cox was killed.

https://twitter.com/Paulsmithdeco/status/743714773699747840/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
Original post by Fullofsurprises
People need to stop saying it's all speculation that his motives were political, that he met her by accident, that there was a tussle and he didn't intend to kill her, etc, etc.

Here are the latest summary of witnesses and they fully contradict all of the above assertions. In fact, they clearly show that he was waiting to attack her, that he viciously and directly and repeatedly attacked her and several witnesses now confirm that he was yelling "Britain First", a clear far-Right slogan.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/16/jo-cox-attack-people-screamed-brought-towels-a-77-year-old-tried-to-help-in-the-end-they-laid-floral-tributes

Of course you fail to mention he's batshit crazy.
Original post by Conservationofmass
Sorry for the spelling mistakes, I have 2 exams this afternoon and haven't been to sleep.

Shouldn't you be revising rather than writing abuse about a dead MP on here?

I do actually think there's some hypocrisy on both sides; it certainly appears that this man was deranged & at least partially influenced by far right propaganda. I believe the Florida gunman was in a similar state, the difference being that it was extreme Islam that twisted his mind. It's easy to blame the whole right for this just as it is easy to blame Islam as a whole for the shooting in Orlando. That doesn't make it correct; several million people voted for UKIP in the last election & don't go around murdering left wing politicians & immigrants just as very few Muslims in the UK commit terrorist attacks.

Deep down, I believe far right militants & Islamic militants are cut from the same cloth; both are happy to use violence against their opponents, both dismiss other moderate views (they see you as either with them or against them), & both believe that they & others who share the same beliefs are superior to everyone else. They're bloody muppets the lot of them.

RIP to Jo Cox .
Original post by Tempest II
Shouldn't you be revising rather than writing abuse about a dead MP on here?

I do actually think there's some hypocrisy on both sides; it certainly appears that this man was deranged & at least partially influenced by far right propaganda. I believe the Florida gunman was in a similar state, the difference being that it was extreme Islam that twisted his mind. It's easy to blame the whole right for this just as it is easy to blame Islam as a whole for the shooting in Orlando. That doesn't make it correct; several million people voted for UKIP in the last election & don't go around murdering left wing politicians & immigrants just as very few Muslims in the UK commit terrorist attacks.

Deep down, I believe far right militants & Islamic militants are cut from the same cloth; both are happy to use violence against their opponents, both dismiss other moderate views (they see you as either with them or against them), & both believe that they & others who share the same beliefs are superior to everyone else. They're bloody muppets the lot of them.

RIP to Jo Cox .

Break, been revising all night mate
Reply 526
Original post by The Roast

Far right, batshit crazy same thing isn't it, or did you mean the OCD?
Original post by hovado
Far right, batshit crazy same thing isn't it, or did you mean the OCD?

Hate to break it to you, but he was suffering from far more than OCD.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, Daily Mail is saying a Sawn off shotgun.

Tbh, it is pretty hard to make a gun at home unless you have certain equipment.

I'm pretty sure the reports said 3 shots were fired. Sawn off generally only carries 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wow, 28 pages of people arguing smh

Many of us regard members of the far right as pretty bonkers by default.

I can't see what difference it makes and anyway he seems from all reports so far to have been someone functioning reasonably OK in society, he had a job, etc.

I can't see what difference it makes and anyway he seems from all reports so far to have been someone functioning reasonably OK in society, he had a job, etc.

I'm of course referring to psychosis here.

He was being treated for mental instability, as far as reports suggest, he could've had an episode(?).
Original post by Tempest II

RIP to Jo Cox .

This is obviously right and they feed off each other's nihilistic pseudo-religious hate and cult of violence agendas.

Far more worrying are the supposedly 'mainstream' politicians like Gove, Duncan-Smith, Johnson and Farage who appear hell bent on uncritically accepting the bigoted, lying anti-immigrant agendas created by these fringe groups and spouting them out, aided by far right people in fake-respectable roles served up to the media, like the unctuous liars in Migration Watch.

The same kinds of things went on in Weimar Germany.

deep. very deep.
Original post by Thutmose-III
I'm a leave voter but frankly it is pissing me off to see how desperately Breitbart-type people are playing down the political/ideological angle while playing up the mental illness one.

That is pretty much in direct contradiction of everything they said in the immediate aftermath of the Orlando attack

Although I agree with what you are saying here, I don't see the man's ideology as having much to do with Brexit. Since when was "Britain First" a Brexit slogan? It is a slogan of a tiny fringe group that is mostly opposed to non-EU immigration.
Reply 535
Original post by nulli tertius
Mainstream politicians have, at least since Powell's Rivers of Blood speech, been extremely coy about discussing race, immigration and cultural change. Mainstream politicians have made it clear that this has been to avoid stirring up racial hatred and hatred against immigrants. Farage has called for a more open debate on these issues and has proceeded to address these issues and has used emotive language in doing so. He has bridged the gap between the political far right, long seen as beyond the pale of political discourse and mainstream politicians.

So mainstream politicians have said don't poke the bear or it will attack. Farage has said that it is his right to poke the bear and it is desirable to poke the bear. He has poked the bear and the bear has attacked.

So what you are suggesting is that by calling for tighter immigration controls based around merit rather than where someone is from in the world he has stirred racial hatreds to the point that people are now more willing to murder those that disagree with him. This is thin gruel indeed. I think if there has been any effect of his public engagement with touchy issues like this it has been to make a large number of less educated and rather angry people feel included in the democratic process in a way they didn't before which it seems obvious would lessen rather than inflame thoughts on murderous violence.

It will be a test of Farage's politically ability how he handles this. Pontius Pilate's answer will probably not be good enough for those who are not his committed fans.

What do you mean?
(edited 7 years ago)
It's somewhat confusing to see Cameron and osborne wax lyrical about her commitment to refugees when just a few months ago they told 3000 children to f**k off and described them as a 'swarm'. In the Commons Cameron would have been mocking her.

Also strange to see so many laud her commitment to human rights and justice yet they only mention that when she's dead. Boris Johnson sneezes and it gets 3 days press coverage saying how great it is, jo cox dedicates her life to charity and public service and was unheard of...

The likes of Farage normalise the ideology of the far right. They make standing in front of a poster of refugees with a sign saying 'breaking point' mainstream. The make saying things like 'i dont want to live next to Romanians' non racist. Yes there are legitimate reasons to have concerns over immigration but the likes of Farage and the far right don't address those concerns, they exploit them.

The culture of aggression and hatred espoused by these lot is to blame for creating the conditions for these horrific attacks to take place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 537
Original post by Bornblue
It's somewhat confusing to see Cameron and osborne wax lyrical about her commitment to refugees when just a few months ago they told 3000 children to f**k off and described them as a 'swarm'. In the Commons Cameron would have been mocking her.

Also strange to see so many laud her commitment to human rights and justice yet they only mention that when she's dead. Boris Johnson sneezes and it gets 3 days press coverage saying how great it is, jo cox dedicates her life to charity and public service and was unheard of...

I agree, that's pretty ridiculous.

Original post by Bornblue
The likes of Farage normalise the ideology of the far right. They make standing in front of a poster of refugees with a sign saying 'breaking point' mainstream. The make saying things like 'i dont want to live next to Romanians' non racist. Yes there are legitimate reasons to have concerns over immigration but the likes of Farage and the far right don't address those concerns, they exploit them.

The culture of aggression and hatred espoused by these lot is to blame for creating the conditions for these horrific attacks to take place.

UKIP isn't really far right. There is very little difference with the right of the Conservative Party. Britain First or the BNP are far right.
Reply 538
I'm of course referring to psychosis here.

Oh, you mean he'd lost touch with reality, again far right, not in touch with reality, same thing isn't it?
Reply 539

It's obvious that his motives were political, but trying to link it with UKIP is just wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest