Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

EPQ Title watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am doing an EPQ this summer and need a title done by tomorrow.
    I want to do it on evolution with reference to biology, philosophy and physics but I am thinking of bringing atheism into it.
    I'm going to make a mind map so if anyone has any ideas that would help I would appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Don't make it too broad. Where does physics come into evolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Don't make it too broad. Where does physics come into evolution.
    I'm still undecided but I like the idea of the atheism and how different arguments could come into it so the physics part would relate to the big bang, not evolution. But I could still do about evolution in respect to biology and philosophy. (Link in with Darwin & natural selection but also the design argument, Paley etc.).
    I do AS level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics so the atheism is something different but the arguments relate to my subjects if that makes sense.
    This is harder than I expected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kserena28)
    I'm still undecided but I like the idea of the atheism and how different arguments could come into it so the physics part would relate to the big bang, not evolution. But I could still do about evolution in respect to biology and philosophy. (Link in with Darwin & natural selection but also the design argument, Paley etc.).
    I do AS level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics so the atheism is something different but the arguments relate to my subjects if that makes sense.
    You really need to narrow down what you want to write about because whilst 5000 words might sound like a lot it can be quite hard to fit into. I wrote about 8500 words and you can be marked down for making your title too broad (not sure how to describe this really) with a large word count, I justified my word count in my review because I would have needed to remove a section from my essay to make it 5000 words but it could have changed my conclusion depending on the section.

If you are going to do an EPQ on evolution, JUST do it on evolution, do not bring in stuff like the Big Bang which isn't relevant to evolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kserena28)
    Sounds a lot like philosophy more than the others. I would say watch a decent "Does God Exist?" Debate They're about 2 hours but it's enough to get an idea of all the arguments for an against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    You really need to narrow down what you want to write about because whilst 5000 words might sound like a lot it can be quite hard to fit into. I wrote about 8500 words and you can be marked down for making your title too broad (not sure how to describe this really) with a large word count, I justified my word count in my review because I would have needed to remove a section from my essay to make it 5000 words but it could have changed my conclusion depending on the section.

If you are going to do an EPQ on evolution, JUST do it on evolution, do not bring in stuff like the Big Bang which isn't relevant to evolution.
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll focus on evolution as I do like to go into a lot of detail so I think I would struggle squeezing in all the topics that would have to be included in the other option!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Sounds a lot like philosophy more than the others. I would say watch a decent "Does God Exist?" Debate They're about 2 hours but it's enough to get an idea of all the arguments for an against.
    Thank you, hopefully this will help me make my mind up. I already have a lot of content on arguments for and against but it needs to be relevant to biology (the EPQ as a whole). I have a session with my tutor soon so I should have it figured out.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.