Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hi all,

I am starting work experience on Monday for 5 consecutive days at a local solicitors office. I have never been there before nor do I know anyone who works there. I arranged the placement via the phone and my sixth form's career department so I haven't even met anyone there. I am really nervous about going in and making a fool of myself.

Any advice?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by GeorgeB16)
    Why would you make a fool of yourself? Are you planning on doing anything stupid? Do you usually do stupid things? What are you assuming about the people in the office that they would make fun of you if you made a mistake?

How do you ever go anywhere new if it makes you nervous? How do you ever meet new people if it makes you nervous?

Do you think they've never had a work experience person before? Do you think they've never met a sixth former before? Do you think they are going to ask you to make critical legal decisions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Why would you make a fool of yourself? Are you planning on doing anything stupid? Do you usually do stupid things? What are you assuming about the people in the office that they would make fun of you if you made a mistake?

How do you ever go anywhere new if it makes you nervous? How do you ever meet new people if it makes you nervous?

Do you think they've never had a work experience person before? Do you think they've never met a sixth former before? Do you think they are going to ask you to make critical legal decisions?
    Brutally honest

ReputationRep:
    If you feel uncomfortable -> You're growing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by threeportdrift)

I'm just getting nervous about meeting new people. I don't know why because I've been a waiter for over a year now and meet new people all the time and I love it but I've never worked in an office environment before so I don't know what to expect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.