Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of my site so far? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have given up on itr for a few weeks but I am working on it again now, what do you think of it so far?

http://www.musicinmanchester.co.uk/bandlistings.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I have given up on itr for a few weeks but I am working on it again now, what do you think of it so far?

It's ok...doesn't look very professional because of the design though. Why does the underline for each band/artist go across the whole page? Looks wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I just needed to seperate the listing some how. What do you think is wrong with the design?

It is supposed to be kept clean and simple for fast downloads and to be W3C complient.

ReputationRep:
    i just thought i'd tell you that the "Clubbing" button does not link to anywhere.
    The design does seem a bit basic, but im sure it would look far better when the content is included

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    i just thought i'd tell you that the "Clubbing" button does not link to anywhere.
    The design does seem a bit basic, but im sure it would look far better when the content is included
    Yeah there are dead links, its nothing like finished yet, the search works though and the paging system was nearly all my own code (proud).

I have just run out of motivation though.

ReputationRep:
    How do you build websites?
    What language do you need to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggysqueak)
    How do you build websites?
    What language do you need to know?
    It depends on what level, for my site I used HTML, CSS and PHP.

You can get away with just learning HTML or using a program to it for you. All the contents in my site are held in a database.

ReputationRep:
    Nice clean layout but i think you need to work on the design a bit. Your using 3 main design elements (titlebar, navbar, content area) and none of them share a consistant design or colourscheme. I like the style youve used on the titlebar - i would keep that and replace the navbar with something in a similar style/colour. I wouln't worry too much about the content area - but replace the dotted lines with a colour which fits in with your colourscheme (black, white and your hyperlink colour)

Next sort out the fonts - a logo would be good in place of the title - and it should not be so close to the right edge as it makes it difficult to read. Use css on the searchbox and button to fit them into the style of your site. Lastly think about using a conistant font for your navbar, links and maintext.

These are just a few suggestions - threre are no real problems with the site just the page elements don't complment each other all that well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Nice clean layout but i think you need to work on the design a bit. Your using 3 main design elements (titlebar, navbar, content area) and none of them share a consistant design or colourscheme. I like the style youve used on the titlebar - i would keep that and replace the navbar with something in a similar style/colour. I wouln't worry too much about the content area - but replace the dotted lines with a colour which fits in with your colourscheme (black, white and your hyperlink colour)

Next sort out the fonts - a logo would be good in place of the title - and it should not be so close to the right edge as it makes it difficult to read. Use css on the searchbox and button to fit them into the style of your site. Lastly think about using a conistant font for your navbar, links and maintext.

These are just a few suggestions - threre are no real problems with the site just the page elements don't complment each other all that well.
    The same font is supposed to be used throughout, I need to check the styesheets. I probably have not applied a class to some of the next hence it being in times new roman. I agree with the what you have said about the colour scheme, It dosn't quite look right, I am just finding it hard to get motivated as its quite a big project (a lot of the pages are missing of the nav at the moment as they are dead links)

What motivated you to finish yours?

ReputationRep:
    What motivated you to finish yours?
    I think being bored of writing content motivated me to finish the design I'm going to keep going with studential now, the sites got pretty popular and it would be a shame to stop developing it just because I've got bored.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like it's come on leaps and bounds, and the content looks promising. Like stuff I'd actually want to read and come back and check on.

Did you never consider PHPNuke for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    I think being bored of writing content motivated me to finish the design I'm going to keep going with studential now, the sites got pretty popular and it would be a shame to stop developing it just because I've got bored.
    Your site is pretty spectacular now! Do google adwords work well?

ReputationRep:
    My immediate design suggestion would be to make the "search" "music in manchester" title, and the navigation buttons all into graphics. THat why you can make the text more interesting, have smoother antialiased edges, and the site will generally be more professional looking.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get rid of the bevels as well. They're ugly. Drop-shadows are a no go too.

Otherwise it's a nice idea. Keep at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    My immediate design suggestion would be to make the "search" "music in manchester" title, and the navigation buttons all into graphics. THat why you can make the text more interesting, have smoother antialiased edges, and the site will generally be more professional looking.
    Yeah I am going to change the navigation bar to a planer black one, and make make a quick logo in Photoshop until I can be bothered doing somthing better.

I seem to be more interested in programming it than doing the graphics and contents though:mad:

ReputationRep:

no offence, but it looks a bit tacky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    no offence, but it looks a bit tacky
    What do you think I need to do change that? Its still only a prototype design.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think I need to do change that? Its still only a prototype design.
    umm...there are a few things.

i think your colour scheme needs a change. maybe black background?

you need a proper logo instead of that text

maybe put the logo on the left and search box on teh right?

more images.

also, as a suggestion. how bout putting a littly image at the end of the highlight in the menu? like a little guitar or soemthing?

the site is very good by the way, just needs a bit of an artistic touch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    umm...there are a few things.

i think your colour scheme needs a change. maybe black background?

you need a proper logo instead of that text

maybe put the logo on the left and search box on teh right?

more images.

also, as a suggestion. how bout putting a littly image at the end of the highlight in the menu? like a little guitar or soemthing?

the site is very good by the way, just needs a bit of an artistic touch
    Yeah thanks, I have changed the background image to black so I think it looks better so far. I will change the logo and move it, I have also decided to use Photoshop it now too, that way I can make it look better.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks, I have changed the background image to black so I think it looks better so far. I will change the logo and move it, I have also decided to use Photoshop it now too, that way I can make it look better.
    no problems, yeah defienitly use graphic packages. they make things look so much better.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.