Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Year 10 mock exams, are they accurate? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got 3A*'s, 3A's, 1B and 2 grade 5's (they are basically low B's)

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on you. Sometimes, they are uncanny, other times they are vastly different. If you want to do better, work hard for it next year and you can get the results you want.

The whole point of mocks are that you learn from them so you can improve and don't make the same mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    tbh not really especially Y10 ones y11 are a better indicator. Teachers mark lightly in year 10 mocks becauise its your first time doing proper test

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would say probably not. I sat mocks for science in year 10 and got straight Bs. My own stupid fault that I didn't get what I wanted, I didn't revise.

In year 11 I did the actual science exams and got straight As. I did revise for those, but only really the night before because I'm not that keen on science, which is not a strategy I'd recommend.

I tend to think you'll always do better in year 11. You tend to be more mature by then and have a better understanding of the importance of revision. (I did geunine exams in year 9, 10, and 11. I believe the final year definitely produces the best results.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leafyisqueer)
    Congrats on your grades! Yr 10 mocks are not accurate at all, even yr 11 mocks aren't that accurate because you still have a LOT of time to work PRODUCTIVELY between mocks and your real exams. If you work harder, you will get better grades. Likewise, slack off and you will probably get worse grades.

Best of luck!x

ReputationRep:
    nah a lot can change in a year.

ReputationRep:
    Also in yr 11 exams seem much much easier for some reason- I am doing my gcse's now and I think that you get used to the types of questions they ask and it seems easier to answer the paper. But in yr 10 even if I did more revision, I would find the exams harder because I wouldn't have good exam technique.

ReputationRep:
    No mock exam is accurate IMO, but they do highlight where you need to brush up on. I'm doing my final exams now and I have revised for them, I was predicted like a C in Maths in year 10 - In year 11 I was moved to set 1 and I'm confident that I have done at least two grades higher...

ReputationRep:
    Just keep working constantly for the next year and nothing should change or you could even dramatically improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    No mock exam is accurate IMO, but they do highlight where you need to brush up on. I'm doing my final exams now and I have revised for them, I was predicted like a C in Maths in year 10 - In year 11 I was moved to set 1 and I'm confident that I have done at least two grades higher...
    Wow well done it always makes me really happy when people achieve their potential!
    I am praying for an A in maths because I think I ****** up the paper!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well done on your resilience and determination!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Wow well done it always makes me really happy when people achieve their potential!
    I am praying for an A in maths because I think I ****** up the paper!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well done on your resilience and determination!
    Thanks I changed when I started (literally) living in the library everyday. Transforming the people you hang around with greatly impacts your grades, you become like the top five people you hang around most with apparently.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think they're accurate, in year 10 i was gettings d's and c's and now at the end of year 11 im getting b's and A's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leafyisqueer)
    No they are not.

However you've got great results! Keep up the great work!

ReputationRep:
    They will give you a general feeling for which subjects are your strong points, however they don't mean anything in the long run. I don't even remember what I got for them

ReputationRep:
    For me, my year 10 grades were really good.... my year 11 grades were horrible, because we got zero time to revise (we were getting set even more homework than we would usually get while we were meant to revise), and the grade boundaries were raised by 10% in most subjects - in English Language the grade boundaries were raised by 20%.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on where you are meant to be...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.