Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'll keep this very simple but essentially I am at a loss as to what I should do next in terms of my career. I have two choices, and I was wondering if some people could weigh in with what they would do in a similar situation.

My background is: 2016 graduate with a 1st in Economics from a non-target Russell-group uni. Summer Internship completed in the bulge bracket in 2015 in IBD. Current job offer for a grad role at Big 4.

Should I:

A) Apply for grad roles in IBD from Aug 2016 onwards.

B) Work my way into the industry from the Big 4 / Just work my way up within the Big 4.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Oschene23)
    Hey,

I'll keep this very simple but essentially I am at a loss as to what I should do next in terms of my career. I have two choices, and I was wondering if some people could weigh in with what they would do in a similar situation.

My background is: 2016 graduate with a 1st in Economics from a non-target Russell-group uni. Summer Internship completed in the bulge bracket in 2015 in IBD. Current job offer for a grad role at Big 4.

Should I:

A) Apply for grad roles in IBD from Aug 2016 onwards.

B) Work my way into the industry from the Big 4 / Just work my way up within the Big 4.

Thanks
    Can't you do both? Hold on to your big4 offer but apply to IBD grad roles. Only issue would be reneging on the big 4 offer but that's not the end of the world and you can do it in a way that won't burn bridges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Can't you do both? Hold on to your big4 offer but apply to IBD grad roles. Only issue would be reneging on the big 4 offer but that's not the end of the world and you can do it in a way that won't burn bridges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah thats what I meant by option A. I suppose my real question was whether its worth the effort it would require in making applications, potentially taking days off for interviews, attitudes towards already graduated individuals applying for grad roles etc... all whilst holding down a full time job. Just not sure what my chances are.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah thats what I meant by option A. I suppose my real question was whether its worth the effort it would require in making applications, potentially taking days off for interviews, attitudes towards already graduated individuals applying for grad roles etc... all whilst holding down a full time job. Just not sure what my chances are.
    Smh, I forgot it was 2016 this year ahahahahah. I was thinking you were graduating next year - silly me :')

I guess it's up to you, if you feel its worth it go ahead.. It's a question of whether you want to defer your IBD job hunt for 3 years vs this cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If IBD is ultimately what you want to be doing then keep applying. No point waiting 3 years if you don't even want an accountancy career of some sort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    If IBD is ultimately what you want to be doing then keep applying. No point waiting 3 years if you don't even want an accountancy career of some sort.
    There are corp. finance jobs in the Big 4 as well, but I understand what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    There are corp. finance jobs in the Big 4 as well, but I understand what you mean.
    Ah apologies, just assumed it was an audit offer for some reason. Is it a corp finance grad role you've secured? If so I guess the experience will be much more relevant, so perhaps worth sticking it out a couple of years. That said, still no downside to applying elsewhere really - just gives you more shots at the end goal.

ReputationRep:
    I will probably find myself in a similar position soon.

I had an email from Citi a few weeks ago saying they had a Graduate Investment Banking Analyst role free up (can forward this if you like) - I am assuming it was for a start this year - although they have probably filled it now.

If I was you:

1. Take the Big 4 Corporate Finance and get going with that - personally, I would be tempted to stick this out now and join after your ACA as an Analyst Level 1 / 2. This would probably be an easier route in my opinion and give you a sense of security.
    2. Apply for Graduate roles / Off-Cycle Internships

Probably best to do both though - you have nothing to lose although you might find it stressful working at Big 4 and trying to apply for IBD. People in Big 4 Corporate Finance still work very long days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    I will probably find myself in a similar position soon.

I had an email from Citi a few weeks ago saying they had a Graduate Investment Banking Analyst role free up (can forward this if you like) - I am assuming it was for a start this year - although they have probably filled it now.

If I was you:

1. Take the Big 4 Corporate Finance and get going with that - personally, I would be tempted to stick this out now and join after your ACA as an Analyst Level 1 / 2. This would probably be an easier route in my opinion and give you a sense of security.
    2. Apply for Graduate roles / Off-Cycle Internships

Probably best to do both though - you have nothing to lose although you might find it stressful working at Big 4 and trying to apply for IBD. People in Big 4 Corporate Finance still work very long days.
    Yeah I got the same email from Citi, but couldn't apply anyway because I already had made an application earlier this cycle, so not sure why they sent the email.

Hmm... There's not guarantee that it will be easy to transfer from Big 4 to BB however, and thats what I'm concerned about.
    I really just want to know if my profile seems viable for attaining interviews at this stage because if so then it is worth putting in the effort imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.