Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a job involving geography but I'm not sure what else to take at a level. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Geography teacher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamodactil)
    Geography teacher?
    I meant a high paying job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussia1)
    I want to do a job involving geography but I'm not sure what else to take at a level. Any ideas?
    I do too, well Ecology/ Marine Biology/ Conservation/Global Warming and that sort of thing. I'm going to do Maths, Biology, Geology& Photography (I didn't do a Geography GCSE so can't do that)

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm going to do geography (and economics) at university this September if I get the grades.

If you're planning to do a degree, like in geography (assuming as you want a job in geography), most graduate jobs don't need a specific subject.

Jobs involving geography:
    - Urban or transport planning
    - Environmental Consultant, or work for regulatory bodies like the EA
    - Work for a water company like Thames Water (I know someone's relative who works for a water company and earns in excess of £100,000 and they have a geography degree. Don't know what job exactly though.)
    - Lecturer at universities

There's more but can't think of any right now.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe chose geography/geology, biology, or maybe a social science?

But definitely biology, geography or geology are you good at these subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    Well, I'm going to do geography (and economics) at university this September if I get the grades.

If you're planning to do a degree, like in geography (assuming as you want a job in geography), most graduate jobs don't need a specific subject.

Jobs involving geography:
    - Urban or transport planning
    - Environmental Consultant, or work for regulatory bodies like the EA
    - Work for a water company like Thames Water (I know someone's relative who works for a water company and earns in excess of £100,000 and they have a geography degree. Don't know what job exactly though.)
    - Lecturer at universities

There's more but can't think of any right now.
    Thanks. Would demographics be a viable job option?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Would demographics be a viable job option?
    Uhm, I can't think of any jobs solely focussed on demographics. I guess, maybe planning as you need to take into account local demographics, or retail planning about demographics of the potential customers.

I'm guessing it'll probably be more into the researcher/lecturer jobs in which you can select what you want to focus on in geography and earn a wage, as demographics is a very specific area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight15)
    Maybe chose geography/geology, biology, or maybe a social science?

But definitely biology, geography or geology are you good at these subjects?
    Well geography definitely since I'm most interested in it (I can name every country and capital on earth and I enjoy reading about geographic articles). I do dual award science ( I'll get either an A and A* or two A*s but I haven't done the full biology course). Never studied geology but some aspects were briefly covered in geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    Uhm, I can't think of any jobs solely focussed on demographics. I guess, maybe planning as you need to take into account local demographics, or retail planning about demographics of the potential customers.

I'm guessing it'll probably be more into the researcher/lecturer jobs in which you can select what you want to focus on in geography and earn a wage, as demographics is a very specific area.
    Well there are governmental institutions that purely focus on trends of the population in various scenarios.

ReputationRep:
    Well geography definitely since I'm most interested in it (I can name every country and capital on earth and I enjoy reading about geographic articles). I do dual award science ( I'll get either an A and A* or two A*s but I haven't done the full biology course). Never studied geology but some aspects were briefly covered in geography.
    How many A levels does your sixth form/college allow you to do?

So for your A level options Geography is definite choice, maybe you can chose subjects you enjoy?

Apart from Geography what other subjects do you enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight15)
    How many A levels does your sixth form/college allow you to do?

So for your A level options Geography is definite choice, maybe you can chose subjects you enjoy?

Apart from Geography what other subjects do you enjoy?
    4 or 5 with further maths. I was thinking of doing maths, further maths, German (my native language) and geography but I'm unsure what to do for the fourth option.

ReputationRep:
    I meant a high paying job
    You're not going to find many that actually actively involves application of skills in geography which is also high paying. I think if you want you can do a geography degree at a top uni and then get a job in a field where degree subject isn't a requirement

ReputationRep:
    4 or 5 with further maths. I was thinking of doing maths, further maths, German (my native language) and geography but I'm unsure what to do for the fourth option.
    Economics perhaps? That fits in well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drogon)
    Economics perhaps? That fits in well.
    Or English to do travel writing?

ReputationRep:
    Well there are governmental institutions that purely focus on trends of the population in various scenarios.
    The only government institution I can think of that does that is the Office for National Statistics.

I guess Defra, DECC, DfT. Forestry Commission, UKSA, and the Ordnance Survey could be also be related, although some more focussed on physical geography than human. They won't be 100% linked to geography though.

ReputationRep:
    Or English to do travel writing?
    Perhaps. But it depends on how significant a factor salary is to you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.