Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Starting my it course soon and just want to plan ahead, its an extended diploma and im hoping to aim for a D*DD/DDD aswell as a GCSE B in maths ( did not to a level)

My options are limited and seeing from the league table the highest ones on the table ive seen i can get into are Lancaster or Swansea.

From any postgraduate or current students studying Computer science, which university is best in terms of quality and job prospects? As someday i am hoping to be a software engineer working at google after i complete my masters at imperial, any feedback would be amazing.

P.s i dont know if there is any better unis in terms of my job rospects and study quality while there but any suggestions are welcome to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samuel303)
    My options are limited and seeing from the league table the highest ones on the table ive seen i can get into are Lancaster or Swansea.

From any postgraduate or current students studying Computer science, which university is best in terms of quality and job prospects? As someday i am hoping to be a software engineer working at google after i complete my masters at imperial, any feedback would be amazing.

P.s i dont know if there is any better unis in terms of my job rospects and study quality while there but any suggestions are welcome to
    I dont do computer science but I will try to give my input anyway.

but yeah you are limited as you didn't do Alevels, but no matter what uni you go to, as long as they have an OK or good course content/syllabus then you should be fine even if the lecturers are bad. Because with comp sci, there are crap ton of resources on the internet about pretty much everything you will learn in uni, all you need is a laptop and willing to learn. The most important thing about getting higher level jobs with comp sci is experience. If you come out with a 1st class but no experience then you will struggle to find a job. You should make sure you get internships every summer whilst at uni, you can even try big companies such as Google, its actually pretty easy to get an internship at Google than getting a job at Tesco, no kidding. But it all comes down to the experience you have on your CV or github. You need to work on your own projects whilst at college, if they dont teach programming, then learn it yourself. Choose something like python and later learn django, boostrap and some basic javascript & you can make some crazy websites projects. Or you can learn java and get into android developing. Some people learn languages but they never actually apply it, knowing c++ doesnt mean you can create a desktop application because you havent learnt a framework for desktop apps, like QT creator , same for java, I have friends who know java but they cant do android development. Lastly go to hackatons if you can, search MLH or Festival Of Code hackatons, all of these are stuff you can put in your CV when you come to apply to Uni and most importantly internships, the degree is just a bonus.

tldr: better unis =/= good job, all about hardwork and experience (proven on CV/portofolio)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying that was very helpful.
    Just deciding which uni to go to is hard, heard bax ezperiences about leicester but that doesnt expalin why it is so high on league tables

ReputationRep:
    Bump, would like to see more opinions on this

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to people who messaged, i have made up my choice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.