Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You know, you could always avoid accusations of going off topic by finishing every sentence with "which is quite similar to Christ's" or "which is quite related to Christ's in an odd sort of way".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    You know, you could always avoid accusations of going off topic by finishing every sentence with "which is quite similar to Christ's" or "which is quite related to Christ's in an odd sort of way".
    Brilliant thinking. You could apply to Christs, y' know.

ReputationRep:
    ah... i see. would be parents... sort out your lives! which is quite related to Christ's in an odd sort of way...

(Original post by sbailey)
    Then I hope you've learnt your lesson.

Now go to your room.

aspirations to parenthood? which is quite similar to Christ's...

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant thinking. You could apply to Christs, y' know.
    I'm actually planning on it! I feel like a bit of a geek as all the reasons everybody seems to be ****ging it off about are the same reasons I'm drawn to it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually planning on it! I feel like a bit of a geek as all the reasons everybody seems to be ****ging it off about are the same reasons I'm drawn to it!
    That's OK, just don't come running to us when you find out it's as bad as we said

EDIT: What course, Magical Sausage?

ReputationRep:
    i've said it before somewhere else - birds of a feather tend to flock together in cambridge - it's what is keeping college stereotypes alive and well. admissions tutors also have a significant role to play in the maintenance of such stereotypes by letting particular types of people in.

so if you are drawn to a college because of it's reputation/stereotype, by all means go for it. you probably stand a better chance of getting into Christ's, ceteris paribus , than a party animal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    i've said it before somewhere else - birds of a feather tend to flock together in cambridge - it's what is keeping college stereotypes alive and well. admissions tutors also have a significant role to play in the maintenance of such stereotypes by letting particular types of people in.

so if you are drawn to a college because of it's reputation/stereotype, by all means go for it. you probably stand a better chance of getting into Christ's, ceteris paribus , than a party animal.
    I think the college atmosphere is one of the biggest factors when it comes to determining classes achieved by their students. You really feel like you're going against the flow when you stay indoors and work at Johns. However, it does mean that when it's not near exam time I can enjoy the frivolous nature of my college :cool:

ReputationRep:
    That's OK, just don't come running to us when you find out it's as bad as we said

might be a bit difficult to come running to us once he has been chained to his desk in the 24 hour dungeon that is Christ's library, under the watchful eye of all his supervisors...

ReputationRep:

English I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    English I'm afraid.
    very sensible sentiment there, given the potential disaster of your choice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)

I think the only kind of reputation that isn't healthy is a poltical one. I hate the idea that people would go to a certain college just to be surrounded by people who agree with them - how dull!

ReputationRep:
    English I'm afraid.
    Wow, that scares you too?

ReputationRep:
    I think the college atmosphere is one of the biggest factors when it comes to determining classes achieved by their students. You really feel like you're going against the flow when you stay indoors and work at Johns. However, it does mean that when it's not near exam time I can enjoy the frivolous nature of my college :cool:
    to be honest, i think john's and queens' have reputations for just about being the hardest partying colleges out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    very sensible sentiment there, given the potential disaster of your choice...
    I think perhaps English as a subject is sometimes let down by its students.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only kind of reputation that isn't healthy is a poltical one. I hate the idea that people would go to a certain college just to be surrounded by people who agree with them - how dull!
    KINGS *cough* *cough*

Good luck, Baz!

ReputationRep:
    now... which defector from the debauched dark side going to a particular communist stronghold comes to mind?

ReputationRep:
    This is weird, but I don't think I know anyone who studies English!

Oh yeah, I'm sure you're wrong by the way, don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    what, you mean the "optional" lectures, general partying and drunkenness...

nahhh.... couldn't possibly be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    what, you mean the "optional" lectures, general partying and drunkenness...

nahhh.... couldn't possibly be.
    What I found particularly scary was that at York, English students only get 4 taught hours a week (compared to about four a day for some subjects). I reckon wherever I go I will sit in on lectures of other subjects just for fun. And since English is so interdisciplinary, they will be useful too!

Hmm must be off to dig up part of the lawn...

ReputationRep:
    What I found particularly scary was that at York, English students only get 4 taught hours a week (compared to about four a day for some subjects). I reckon wherever I go I will sit in on lectures of other subjects just for fun. And since English is so interdisciplinary, they will be useful too!

Hmm must be off to dig up part of the lawn...
    burying yourself even before applying to Christ's? that's the spirit...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.