Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I understand the directions of each finger, but i'm confused about which way your finger points for the direction of current flow, now usually current flows from negative to positive, but i swear in this rule you have to do from positive to negative? Can somebody please help?
    Thanks
    Probably, Jade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyJade)
    Hey!
    I understand the directions of each finger, but i'm confused about which way your finger points for the direction of current flow, now usually current flows from negative to positive, but i swear in this rule you have to do from positive to negative? Can somebody please help?
    Thanks
    Probably, Jade
    When scientists first started studying electrical circuits, they didn't really know which direction the current flowed in, so they guessed it was positive to negative. However, electrons travel from negative to positive (because of their charge), so it should be the other way, but the convention stuck, and nearly everything today operates on positive to negative idea, including Fleming's Left Hand Rule. So the second finger does indeed point positive to negative. (at least, I think that's the idea behind it)

In case it's useful an easy way to remember the directions of the fingers is this: thuMb, Motion; First finger, Field direction; seCond finger, Current.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aear)
    When scientists first started studying electrical circuits, they didn't really know which direction the current flowed in, so they guessed it was positive to negative. However, electrons travel from negative to positive (because of their charge), so it should be the other way, but the convention stuck, and nearly everything today operates on positive to negative idea, including Fleming's Left Hand Rule. So the second finger does indeed point positive to negative. (at least, I think that's the idea behind it)

In case it's useful an easy way to remember the directions of the fingers is this: thuMb, Motion; First finger, Field direction; seCond finger, Current.
    Okay, so in an exam question for fleming's rule i would point positive terminal to negative. But what if i got a questions asking me for the direction of the flow of electrons? Do they flow from positive to negative because the negative charge of the electron repels the negative charge of the terminal?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so in an exam question for fleming's rule i would point positive terminal to negative. But what if i got a questions asking me for the direction of the flow of electrons? Do they flow from positive to negative because the negative charge of the electron repels the negative charge of the terminal?
    Negative to positive. This isn't to do with the left hand rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussia1)
    Negative to positive. This isn't to do with the left hand rule
    Right, okay, thank you! To save me making a new thread, is this idea of moments correct when applied to a car......

So airbags reduces the speed of a person over a longer period of time so the momentum takes longer and the force applied to the person is therefore less??

Oh god i get so confused with momentum.... i don't know why but help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Right, okay, thank you! To save me making a new thread, is this idea of moments correct when applied to a car......

So airbags reduces the speed of a person over a longer period of time so the momentum takes longer and the force applied to the person is therefore less??

Oh god i get so confused with momentum.... i don't know why but help would be appreciated
    On Fleming's Left Hand Rule, the question will always operate on convention, I would presume. If they make no comment on that fact, assume convention.

With airbags, I've attached a collection of mark scheme answers for AQA Unit 2 and 3, and on Unit 2 I've got an answer about seat belts, which use a similar principle to airbags. Just shift the words as appropriate. This is what I'm doing tonight for revision. Feel free to share them with others if you wish.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Physics Unit 2 Mark Scheme Answers.docx (17.2 KB, 46 views)
  2. File Type: docx Physics Unit 3 Mark Scheme Answers.docx (16.4 KB, 43 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aear)
    On Fleming's Left Hand Rule, the question will always operate on convention, I would presume. If they make no comment on that fact, assume convention.

With airbags, I've attached a collection of mark scheme answers for AQA Unit 2 and 3, and on Unit 2 I've got an answer about seat belts, which use a similar principle to airbags. Just shift the words as appropriate. This is what I'm doing tonight for revision. Feel free to share them with others if you wish.
    Thank you so much, you've helped me beyond belief :')

ReputationRep:
    I hope this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whfpEeoHxNw

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.