Turn on thread page Beta

Would you want to live in a world without music? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Not to be confused with a pole dancer, lol.
    lol whats it like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    lol whats it like?
    I thought you were just teasing, lol. Man they really need to start teaching alittle bit more about native american customs. Powwow is a native american ceremony, there are many different dances that take place during powwow. What I do is called the fancy shawl dance, basically it is a modified version of the mens fancy dance. Powwow has become quite publicised over the years and now serves as a form of entertainment for all americans, as most PW dancers travel the country for competitions. most are now open to public and vendor booths are set up to sell goods during the dances. I do not travel myself as I feel the ceremony should not be exploited, or done just to win prize money. I dance only at our local powwow here each summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I thought you were just teasing, lol. Man they really need to start teaching alittle bit more about native american customs. Powwow is a native american ceremony, there are many different dances that take place during powwow. What I do is called the fancy shawl dance, basically it is a modified version of the mens fancy dance. Powwow has become quite publicised over the years and now serves as a form of entertainment for all americans, as most PW dancers travel the country for competitions. most are now open to public and vendor booths are set up to sell goods during the dances. I do not travel myself as I feel the ceremony should not be exploited, or done just to win prize money. I dance only at our local powwow here each summer.
    I was teasing but I hoped you would explian. How do you feel about the customs? or maybe we should discuss this on a seperate thread. I mean its quite hard to strike the balance between moving on and keeping your heritage and also exploiting it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    I was teasing but I hoped you would explian. How do you feel about the customs? or maybe we should discuss this on a seperate thread. I mean its quite hard to strike the balance between moving on and keeping your heritage and also exploiting it
    I think it should be discussed elsewhere, as I don't want to hijack Cloudys thread anymore than we already have (soz cloudy). Maybe a thread on cultures and customs?

ReputationRep:
    This discussion is rather too vague. I think that beffore we answer the question we must either consider its ontology or, if you believe it cannot be discussed ontologically, define it clearly and explain why it cannot be discussed in this way.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudy)
    Discuss?
    No, far too attatched to it. If you suddenly got rid of it, I'd go a bit insane. Although if I'd never encountered it in the first place, I wouldn't miss it. A world without music seems very depressing. I'd survive if there was classical music left, but not if that was taken away.

ReputationRep:
    a world without music would suck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    This discussion is rather too vague. I think that beffore we answer the question we must either consider its ontology or, if you believe it cannot be discussed ontologically, define it clearly and explain why it cannot be discussed in this way.

MB

Sorry but cud u rephrase that in more simple termonology, as I have no idea what you were talkin about!

ReputationRep:
    Discuss?
    The general vibe i have picked from this thread is that u guys love music. what is it that u like about it so much?

For the last month i have stopped listening to music. prior to that i was listening to all the time, i used to find silence unsettling. i just enjoyed hearing something in the background.

but then i started thinking the reasons why i liked music:
    1) it helped me relax
    2) it cheered me up, if i was feeling low
    3) other times it could get my adrenaline rushing e.g. evanescence.

i started to realise that it effected my general mood. to me it seems that i was using music like a drug. at that point i wanted to try living without music and see how it goes. so i been tuning in to talk radio stations - 97.3 FM. and its far more interesting and enjoyable than some random music.
    this is just my view. does any1 else think or feel like this? if not why not?

ReputationRep:
    I'd survive. It'd be a far worse world though. I would probably drink more. And read more.

ReputationRep:
    Discuss?
    I'd rather be blind than deaf.

ReputationRep:
    Discuss?
    Well, i personally think that it would be horrible as music serves so many purposes, from entertainment to scientific exploration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Well, i personally think that it would be horrible as music serves so many purposes, from entertainment to scientific exploration.
    what do u mean by "scientific exploration"?

Umair

ReputationRep:
    sheesh! no way could i live without music. but imagine if it was banned - i mean the taliban tried to, didnt they? in afghanistan all music was banned unless it was islamic - but even then it had to be 'acapella' - no instruments, beats - nada!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I'd rather be blind than deaf.
    Although I believe I couldn't live in a world without music, I am the opposite I believe I would rather be deaf than blind as sight to me is more valuable than sound...strange isn't it!

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer a world without music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    I would prefer a world without music.
    really!!! :eek: why is that?

ReputationRep:
    really!!! :eek: why is that?
    Well I don't really have any interest in listening to any music, and that doesn't help my social life very much
    So, personally, I would be much better off if it didn't exist

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.