Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just wondering whether anyone could go through the life cycle of a star for me? Preferably note form.

I just don't...get it?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...tarsrev2.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Lool..I don't think anyone does.

Here's a good video for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNIFyswhT4k

ReputationRep:
    1) Nebula - large amounts of dust accumulate in space
    2) Protostar - gravitational forces pull the particles into a smaller volume, as more particles are pulled in the temperature rises
    3) Main sequence star - as the temperature rises, fusion reactions begin to happen
    4) Redgiant / Super Red Giant - as the hydrogen in the star is used up, the star contracts. As it contracts, the star heats up - causing it to expand. As it expands, the outer layers cool, making them look red.

And then...
    FOR BIG STARS
    5) As the star runs out of hydrogen, it explodes forming a protostar
    6) And then it can either:
    a) Neutron Star - when only the centre of the star remains
    b) Black hole - If the star collapses on itself it forms a black hole

OR FOR SMALL STARS
    5) White dwarf -As the star contracts again, it heats up, and becomes a white dwarf
    6) Black dwarf - As the star is no longer able to sustain any further fusion reactions, it fades

This is from memory, and may be incorrect in areas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.