The Student Room Group

How do I study smart for university level Geology?

I got past high school exams by memorising everything. Now I'm in 2nd year university and struggling (getting B's and C's even after a month of studying). I realise I need to approach revision differently but don't know how? Any help? What do you do?
Original post by Airess3
I got past high school exams by memorising everything. Now I'm in 2nd year university and struggling (getting B's and C's even after a month of studying). I realise I need to approach revision differently but don't know how? Any help? What do you do?

First question do you enjoy studying geology at university because if you have a passion (even the faintest one) for the topics it helps so much. So if you have any options make sure you think wisely about which you enjoy the most and weigh that against the pros/cons of the topics in terms of career prospects. If you don't plan to go into geology after the degree then choosing which topics on purely enjoyment is fine.

I guess another tip is don't cram for the exams, start off maybe say a month before the exams and gently ease yourself into them. First off just making sure revision notes are made and a little revision then slowly build up to 'proper' revision.

Any questions?
Original post by CareerVet
First question do you enjoy studying geology at university because if you have a passion (even the faintest one) for the topics it helps so much. So if you have any options make sure you think wisely about which you enjoy the most and weigh that against the pros/cons of the topics in terms of career prospects. If you don't plan to go into geology after the degree then choosing which topics on purely enjoyment is fine.

I guess another tip is don't cram for the exams, start off maybe say a month before the exams and gently ease yourself into them. First off just making sure revision notes are made and a little revision then slowly build up to 'proper' revision.

Any questions?

Yes, I definitely have passion in Geology and I'm thinking of becoming a seismologist in the future. It's been my dream since I was 14. I did start a month before exams for revision but still seem to be getting B's and C's. I hand in completed past paper and tutorial questions to lecturers and get corrections from them but still don't seem to be doing as well as I should be.

Maybe I should do more reading? I'm only really doing reading for when I get stuck on questions. Or maybe I should be doing more questions from different textbooks? Or should I be taking more notes from textbooks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending