Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Can you do an EPQ in your spare time with your old school or with some sort of college?

Never heard of them requiring research though, where did you hear that? I've only ever heard things like that over in North America, not so much UK.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not that important assuming you've got an otherwise good application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverGrowUp)
    I don't remember the exact source, I'll try finding it , but I remember reading that uni's such as UCL and oxbridge preferring students with that as well as everything else, hence why so many people with Nuffield Placements get a place. And that they like seeing that you've done an EPQ. Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer EPQ, and I don't think there's a way to do it externally as you apparently need a certain number of classroom hours.
    I would say that that's true, but that's different to it being either common or expected.

It's pretty difficult to be involved in research pre-university yes. That's why not many people have it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of any Universities that require research experience. I was lucky and got some experience in a lab prior to applying, so it may well have helped in my application (though do note I was ultimately rejected by Cambridge post-interview - so if it did help it is evidently not the be all or end all).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.