Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am completely stuck for OCR History GCSE Controlled Assessment!!!!!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    the question is what was more important to Hitler the Reichstag Fire or the Enabling Act
    specific help with the question would be wonderful I am sooo stuck

ReputationRep:
    Enabling act

ReputationRep:
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daliana.r)
    the question is what was more important to Hitler the Reichstag Fire or the Enabling Act
    specific help with the question would be wonderful I am sooo stuck
    You need to think about the consequences of both, i.e. what did they allow Hitler to do. Which were greater?

Also remember the order of both, Reichstag Fire came in Feb 1933 whereas the Enabling Act was passed in March 1933. Could this be of any significance? Maybe the two are linked in someway?...

Hopefully this is enough to move you in the right direction

If you need any help, just PM me as I study Germany 1918-89 in a fair amount of depth!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If you need a bit more help, here's my answer...

While the Enabling Act essentially tore up the Weimar Constitution and gave Hitler enormous political power, it was not more important for Hitler. The Reichstag Fire allowed Hitler to pass such an act, which led to Hitler's supreme position. The act is consequential of the fire, thus the importance lies in the fire.

Obviously this is very brief, but I can't write an essay!

ReputationRep:
    Also the Reichstag fire meant Hitler and the Nazi party could blame the communists for the fire and they arrested that commie guy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.