This discussion is closed.
Eleanorrrrr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey!
I came across the eyesight requirements for aircrew, and was wondering do both eyes need to be 6/6 corrected?Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1708
Size:  90.7 KB
I have one 'good' eye which is 6/6 uncorrected and corrected however had a 'bad' eye with is neither both corrected and uncorrected
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your vision needs to be as described on the form, it doesn't distinguish eyes individually.

The only way you'll know if your vision is at that standard is by getting an eyetest.
Eleanorrrrr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Your vision needs to be as described on the form, it doesn't distinguish eyes individually.

The only way you'll know if your vision is at that standard is by getting an eyetest.

On the form there is one number yet I have two eyes, so does that mean that one eye is 6/6 there shouldn't be an issue or one eye is 6/12 there is an issue
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Eleanorrrrr)
On the form there is one number yet I have two eyes, so does that mean that one eye is 6/6 there shouldn't be an issue or one eye is 6/12 there is an issue
Why would they give numbers for only one eye? Do you think they expect you to work with only one eye open?

It's your vision that's being tested - both eyes combined. You'll need to go to an optician to find out where you fall on that sheet.
username1119229
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey!
I came across the eyesight requirements for aircrew, and was wondering do both eyes need to be 6/6 corrected?Name:  image.jpeg
I have one 'good' eye which is 6/6 uncorrected and corrected however had a 'bad' eye with is neither both corrected and uncorrected
Hi Eleanor,

Basically - WSOp require 6/24 uncorrected vision in each eye. These are limits and requirements in regards to astigmatisms, myopia etc - only a Optician could answer in regards to that for you.

Both eyes ultimately do need to be correctable to 6/6, however as long as you meet the uncorrected vision - that's all that is required.

Best thing to do is book yourself into a local opticians, take the above form (in fact, I think I may have a more up to date one you can take) and they can run though it all with you.

Best of luck :-)
Eleanorrrrr
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0902)
Hi Eleanor,

Basically - WSOp require 6/24 uncorrected vision in each eye. These are limits and requirements in regards to astigmatisms, myopia etc - only a Optician could answer in regards to that for you.

Both eyes ultimately do need to be correctable to 6/6, however as long as you meet the uncorrected vision - that's all that is required.

Best thing to do is book yourself into a local opticians, take the above form (in fact, I think I may have a more up to date one you can take) and they can run though it all with you.

Best of luck :-)
That's great!
I got them done yesterday however one eye is still 6/12 corrected however the other is 6/6.
Uncorrected it is 6/18 so fingers crossed it is alright
AnEvolvedApe
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Why would they give numbers for only one eye? Do you think they expect you to work with only one eye open?

It's your vision that's being tested - both eyes combined. You'll need to go to an optician to find out where you fall on that sheet.
This is the exact issue I have with the Navy eye sight standards as they test you on individual eyes which I find ridiculous. My left eye is poor but it is not like I will be on board a ship fixing something with a patch covering my perfect right eye. The regulation is quite unreasonable for the Navy in my opinion.

Is the RAF eye sight requirement still the same as it was when this post was originally created?
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AnEvolvedApe)
This is the exact issue I have with the Navy eye sight standards as they test you on individual eyes which I find ridiculous. My left eye is poor but it is not like I will be on board a ship fixing something with a patch covering my perfect right eye. The regulation is quite unreasonable for the Navy in my opinion.

Is the RAF eye sight requirement still the same as it was when this post was originally created?
Standards change all the time for recruitment to all three services and vary massively depending on the job role you apply for.

In response to your last three posts in different threads, you will not find the answer to your questions on this forum. You need to ask the AFCO and if they can't give you the standards which in your case with one eye being the issue then you'll have to wait to have your medical.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AnEvolvedApe)

There are some roles that would require you to have good vision when using one eye alone. A role where you are required to fire a rifle would require you to have decent vision in the right eye on its own as you wouldn't be able to use the left. Testing individual eyes can be an advantage if done properly e.g. allow for a bad left eye rather than saying both must be good.
Flt Lt A Qureshi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!
Hi. As long as your vision meets the requirements it’s ok. You DO NOT need 20/20 vision to become a pilot. If you can’t meet the requirements, laser eye surgery may be needed. Contact the carriers office for what type you might need.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.74%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.93%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.69%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed