Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Despite the information from school, and university events that I have been given, I believe I will get a better answer from current students.

I understand how the loan system works, but I am weary about the amount of money, on average, that needs to be personally provided, either by the student, or family.

I guess my basic question is, how much on average does a student normally spend on cost of living out of their own pocket, and how do they fund that cost. Not all universities are keen on students committing to work, and it will be difficult for my family to support me (I'm a twin), so any advise would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexBakSik)
    Despite the information from school, and university events that I have been given, I believe I will get a better answer from current students.

I understand how the loan system works, but I am weary about the amount of money, on average, that needs to be personally provided, either by the student, or family.

I guess my basic question is, how much on average does a student normally spend on cost of living out of their own pocket, and how do they fund that cost. Not all universities are keen on students committing to work, and it will be difficult for my family to support me (I'm a twin), so any advise would be appreciated!
    It depends on what you're entitled to. You can roughly estimate it by looking at the online calculator, don't remember where. I also think there's some concession for twins.
    From there you can see whether or not it'll be enough. Some people will have over £3000 left after paying accommodation. Others will be £1000 short of their accommodation cost.
    Some students work over the summer to save money for uni. Id say an average spend non catered is around £50 a week. But it can go a lot higher depending on your spending habits.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.