Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And how many hours in class do you spend?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    It may vary but the ones I was looking at required 4 days a week attendance with around 18 hours of classes, and the tutors were rather insistent that you devote considerable time to self study too.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely dependent on the scheduling of your particular college. At mine we do Monday-Wednesday, from roughly 9am-2pm with some chunky breaks. About 8 hours academic teaching per week, with extra stuff like learning and IT skills.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was 9-12.30 on a Monday and 9-15.30 on a Tuesday. Wednesday was an open class from 12.30-16.30 which we weren't required to attend but could if we had any questions about the work.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the college & which course you're doing. Here's my details:

College of West Anglia
    Acces to Humanities & Social Sciences
    Awarding body CAVA

We had to pick 3 subjects out of Psychology, Sociology, English Literature and History. Study Skills was compulsory.

Timetable was:
    Wednesday 9.15 - 12.15 Psychology
    Wednesday 1 - 4. Sociology
    Thursday 9.15 - 12.15. English
    Friday 9.45 - 12.15 Study Skills
    Friday 2 - 4.30 History

Amount of study outside class varied depending on whether there was assignments due. There was a mixture of essays, presentations & exams for each subject apart from History which didn't have any assessments involving presentations.

The whole course is 60 credits broken down its:
    Study Skills 6 credits pass/fail
    Dissertation 3000 words 9 credits
    Each of the 3 subjects is 15 credits, first unit in each subject was 3 credits pass/fail. The rest being pass/merit/distinction. Remaining 12 credits split, some units were 3 credits, some 6, some 9.

The good thing about first unit being pass/fail is that it's very hard to fail. The downside is that it doesn't give much leeway if the uni you want to go to asks for a lot of distinctions. I've got conditional offer for UEA deferred till 2017 and I need distinctions in 36 credits & merits in 9.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My access to science was 2 days a week;
    Wednesday 10 - 5 (2 hour lunch break Wednesday too!)
    Thursday workshop 9-12.30 and classes 2 -5

Workshop was a joke, no teacher or anything just planned time in the college. No one but people who needed it for their bursaries attended by the end.

ReputationRep:
    Monday-Wednesday 9-15:00 at the start but once optional modules began that varied.
    By the end, I only needed to be in on Monday from 13:15 to 15:00 and Wednesday 9:00 to 10:30

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my access to health course and we were in Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 9:30am - 3:30pm and then Friday 9:30am - 12 pm.

Each lesson was 2 hours long with a 30 minute break inbetween and a 1 hour dinner break.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just enrolled to my access course and im required to be in 4 days of the week. I could have probably squished it into 3 days. Mostly 9:00am to 4:00pm except thursdays

ReputationRep:
    9-3.30, Monday to Wednesday, so only 3 days a week 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 days 9am - 4.30pm

ReputationRep:
    my friend has just finished the access to health and social care course at the same college i will be starting it at in september and was in mon weds fri 9-2 so im hoping for something similar for me this year i have a 1 year old so they will pay for the full 3 days of nursery for her, hoping to stay in college afterwards each day to get studying or assignments done so i dont have to do much at home at all xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.