Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, during my final block 8 week placement I fell ill and was admitted to hospital. Ever since then the school I was completing my placement at started to be really harsh. It was a traumatic experience and nothing was ever good enough. When completing lesson observations they graded me against standards of an experience teacher. I got the university involved and it was agreed I would defer my final 8 week block placement.

This was very upsetting as I had a job waiting for me as a NQT at an outstanding school. I explained my situation to the head teacher and she was very understanding, I was shocked that someone could be so kind after my experience at that awful school! She suggested that I could apply as a TA at her school and she would be willing to release me to complete my 8 weeks unpaid if university needed to find me a placement or that I could complete the placement at her school in EYFS.
    I have suggested this to university, although I have not received a definite answer and the short listing day is tomorrow. As the head teacher has been really helpful I feel I will be shortlisted. Can the university refuse me to complete the 8 week block if I accept the TA job? As I have not been told when I would be placed it could be 8 weeks any time from September. I really want to do something that will help my professional development, rather than sitting at home waiting for a phone call.

Any suggestions or answers?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.