Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

And then the penny dropped... watch

ReputationRep:
    I am so ****ing sick of exams. Exams make me feel sick and I am tired of memorising and repeating meaningless information. I made this realisation during my A2 Biology Unit 4 exam, I scanned the exam, I was able to attempt at least 60% of the questions (even if the answers were not correct) however I decided that I would not answer any of those questions. Instead I spent a good 50 minutes writing sentences all over my exam to do with how I felt about exams, what I wanted to do in life and my general thoughts to do with aspirations and opportunities.

One of my sentences was if I REALLY want to do A Levels and get a good grade, I would have started revising at least a month before exams started and I would have tried to at least attempt all these questions. But I was just so sick of doing the same thing as this was my 6th exam and so I just refused. Why do I have no motivation at all to do this? Why does even the word "Biology" make me groan in despair? It's because its not what I REALLY want to do, its just something I felt compelled and it stops here. Do I really want to do neuroscience? Be piled with much harder work and MORE exams that I'm not even driven by passion any more. Do I even WANT to go to university? I think the only thing that attracted me to unii was the fact I was able to move out and make more friends because I utterly hate my home life. But clearly that should not be a reason to torture my brain into sitting these damn exams.

I am nearly 18 and there are still SO many different things I can do beside doing what makes everyone else happy. I don't want to spend my life pleasing people and trying to make everyone proud of me, I want to do something I enjoy and something I am passionate about. I want to put hard work into something that makes me happy - not put hard work to do something else that I don't really want to do. How did I go from wanting to do medicine to this :lol: even I don't know... However what I do know is that I still have my life ahead of me and so many different paths I can choose from. I don't HAVE to go through the route that everyone else wants me go through especially the exam until I die route xD

I wish I had been more exposed to vocational courses after GCSE's although even then I was quite dead set on being a doctor. I feel like I've wasted 2 years forcing myself to do something that I clearly don't enjoy. But I also know that its not too late. I want to take up an apprenticeship (maybe in Pharmacy?) and eventually become a Paramedic. I want something that excites me and changes all the time but still medicine related. I don't want my life to be dictated by exams, I want to prove that I can still be successfully via other routes which more suit my learning style. I am passionate about mental health and psychology but a degree in say psychology is ruled "a waste of time" and is hard to gain employment and again just exams. I love drama, maybe I want to start taking up drama classes and have a fun different hobby on the side.

All these thoughts ran through my head as I sat in that exam and I have never felt more confident about my decision to not continue with exams for the next few years. I probably got like 1 mark in that exam but I feel like this is one of the smartest decisions I will ever make. I'm so glad I have made this realisation now and not in the middle of university. Everything seems so clear now and I realise how much I still have going for me. I am so happy to be in this position where I am finally finding a sense of direction. The penny has dropped. I am ready for whatever comes next and from now I will make decisions based on what makes me happy, not what society wants me to do.

This is basically an essay but its one of the most important moments in the history of my life!

ReputationRep:
    Look. Education isn't the end. These exams are such a small bit of your life. Sh*t happens and we have to deal with it and move on. Exams are tough. Life is tough. But rather than looking back at that exam, just keep revising for the next few.

As for career plans; stick to what you enjoy. Don't think about what others have to say about it. That way you'll do something you like as well as perform better in exams etc.

Don't stress about life because its really not worth wasting your time doing so. And who knows you might have performed better than you thought. At the end of all of this it will all be just fine! :jumphug:

Spoiler:
    Show
    That all being said. I'm a bloody stress ball trying to help. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    This is basically an essay but its one of the most important moments in the history of my life!
    Nice essay, it's really weird how I also just finished writing an essay to myself although it was different and filled with more self-evaluation XD

Do what you feel is the correct thing to do. If you feel miserable doing something then there is no point continuing it. It's all about what you truly want and not what others want for you.

Do what is best for you Goodluck X

ReputationRep:
    Well, its good that you thought of all of this, on the other hand might have wanted to pick a more approriate time..
    Deadlines, tests, exams are just a part of life tbh. If you want to be a paramedic, great, but you will still have qualification exams, loads of reports to do, deadlines and so on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apolexian)
    Well, its good that you thought of all of this, on the other hand might have wanted to pick a more approriate time..
    Deadlines, tests, exams are just a part of life tbh. If you want to be a paramedic, great, but you will still have qualification exams, loads of reports to do, deadlines and so on
    It wasn't so much the workload and intensity that hit me but the fact that I was doing ALL this for absolutely NOTHING. Whilst something more vocational is yet accompanied by maybe even the same workload but its along side something that I would enjoy or at least not find utterly mind blowingly boring.

And yes this was probably one of the worst times to make this realisation but nothing I can do now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Nice essay, it's really weird how I also just finished writing an essay to myself although it was different and filled with more self-evaluation XD

Do what you feel is the correct thing to do. If you feel miserable doing something then there is no point continuing it. It's all about what you truly want and not what others want for you.

Do what is best for you Goodluck X
    You must share with me your essay

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't so much the workload and intensity that hit me but the fact that I was doing ALL this for absolutely NOTHING. Whilst something more vocational is yet accompanied by maybe even the same workload but its along side something that I would enjoy or at least not find utterly mind blowingly boring.

And yes this was probably one of the worst times to make this realisation but nothing I can do now...
    Sometimes you have to deal with boring ******** to get to the interesting stuff.
    For example i'm planning to apply for computer science and doing the computing cambridge syllabus i realised that about 60% of it is useless because no one uses the stuff they teach us anymroe (hubs, certain cables). But on the other hand in order to get to the good stuff i need this anyway, so no choice really.
    I mean its great that you decided to take life into your own hands, but dropping an exam for that just seems unresponsable and a bit weird for me. I mean, it shows lack of disciplne and will. And if nothing else you did pay for it which is kind of a waste. If you just did the exam, whatever just try and move on then went on your path it would have been much more logical in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apolexian)
    Sometimes you have to deal with boring ******** to get to the interesting stuff.
    For example i'm planning to apply for computer science and doing the computing cambridge syllabus i realised that about 60% of it is useless because no one uses the stuff they teach us anymroe (hubs, certain cables). But on the other hand in order to get to the good stuff i need this anyway, so no choice really.
    I mean its great that you decided to take life into your own hands, but dropping an exam for that just seems unresponsable and a bit weird for me. I mean, it shows lack of disciplne and will. And if nothing else you did pay for it which is kind of a waste. If you just did the exam, whatever just try and move on then went on your path it would have been much more logical in my opinion
    Well I am a irresponsible, weird and illogical person sometimes :lol: And at least like I said you have the "good stuff" which is stuff you want to do in the future or even interesting parts of the syllabus which is worth the hardwork and intensity. This exam was not worth it anything. I knew I would have gotten a E/D had I attempted it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I am so ****ing sick of exams. Exams make me feel sick and I am tired of memorising and repeating meaningless information. I made this realisation during my A2 Biology Unit 4 exam, I scanned the exam, I was able to attempt at least 60% of the questions (even if the answers were not correct) however I decided that I would not answer any of those questions. Instead I spent a good 50 minutes writing sentences all over my exam to do with how I felt about exams, what I wanted to do in life and my general thoughts to do with aspirations and opportunities.

One of my sentences was if I REALLY want to do A Levels and get a good grade, I would have started revising at least a month before exams started and I would have tried to at least attempt all these questions. But I was just so sick of doing the same thing as this was my 6th exam and so I just refused. Why do I have no motivation at all to do this? Why does even the word "Biology" make me groan in despair? It's because its not what I REALLY want to do, its just something I felt compelled and it stops here. Do I really want to do neuroscience? Be piled with much harder work and MORE exams that I'm not even driven by passion any more. Do I even WANT to go to university? I think the only thing that attracted me to unii was the fact I was able to move out and make more friends because I utterly hate my home life. But clearly that should not be a reason to torture my brain into sitting these damn exams.

I am nearly 18 and there are still SO many different things I can do beside doing what makes everyone else happy. I don't want to spend my life pleasing people and trying to make everyone proud of me, I want to do something I enjoy and something I am passionate about. I want to put hard work into something that makes me happy - not put hard work to do something else that I don't really want to do. How did I go from wanting to do medicine to this :lol: even I don't know... However what I do know is that I still have my life ahead of me and so many different paths I can choose from. I don't HAVE to go through the route that everyone else wants me go through especially the exam until I die route xD

I wish I had been more exposed to vocational courses after GCSE's although even then I was quite dead set on being a doctor. I feel like I've wasted 2 years forcing myself to do something that I clearly don't enjoy. But I also know that its not too late. I want to take up an apprenticeship (maybe in Pharmacy?) and eventually become a Paramedic. I want something that excites me and changes all the time but still medicine related. I don't want my life to be dictated by exams, I want to prove that I can still be successfully via other routes which more suit my learning style. I am passionate about mental health and psychology but a degree in say psychology is ruled "a waste of time" and is hard to gain employment and again just exams. I love drama, maybe I want to start taking up drama classes and have a fun different hobby on the side.

All these thoughts ran through my head as I sat in that exam and I have never felt more confident about my decision to not continue with exams for the next few years. I probably got like 1 mark in that exam but I feel like this is one of the smartest decisions I will ever make. I'm so glad I have made this realisation now and not in the middle of university. Everything seems so clear now and I realise how much I still have going for me. I am so happy to be in this position where I am finally finding a sense of direction. The penny has dropped. I am ready for whatever comes next and from now I will make decisions based on what makes me happy, not what society wants me to do.

Relax as it will be all over soon and a very long summer ahead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Relax as it will be all over soon and a very long summer ahead
    No it really wont be :sad: I HAVE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL :cry:

ReputationRep:
    No it really wont be :sad: I HAVE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL :cry:
    Aren't you a Y13?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Aren't you a Y13?
    i'm repeating year 12 except for Biology

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    But then you will have to do exams again??

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I appreciate that you're sick of exams - we all are - why on earth did you decide to do that actually IN the exam? You should have at least attempted to answer it as best as you can, now that revision really was for nothing if you didn't even attempt to answer the questions. Exams aren't for everyone and doing an apprenticeship can be a better option, but you will still have to gain qualifications, be assessed etc. so I do think this was a bit of an irresponsible decision...

ReputationRep:
    Education isn't everything. You fail an exam - so what? It doesn't change who you are as a person, and it doesn't define your future. Don't put yourself under so much stress if you can help it, what will be will be

But do what makes you happy, because your life is for you to live it. Not follow what other people think you should do

I wish you all the best!

And I wish you all the happiness in the world, you deserve it!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ok good luck to you and now you wnat to think abouty taking control. Even if you have blown biology, its still 2 years work and A levels cna be handy, even if you dont wnat to go to Uni.

The first thing you need to do is making peace with your family.

Then if you can take a gap year, start with a blank canvas and figure out who you are and what you want to do. Look at the jobs other people do and that interest you. Read biogrpahies, experiment and let you mind wander. Its difficult to escape exams, things will eb slwower, but maybe you will be happier.

id still take the rest, but if you arent going to thats your choice. Your careers service should have plenty of books on making life choices.
    Good luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.