Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have IE, opera, mozilla and the new firefox.

i always find myself going back to IE really.

the people who shout about its security probs are just people who are worried about their own security measures. get a firewall, an anti-virus and ran ad-aware every month and you'll never have troubles. the measures arent just good for IE, but for using a PC in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)

the people who shout about its security probs are just people who are worried about their own security measures. get a firewall, an anti-virus and ran ad-aware every month and you'll never have troubles. the measures arent just good for IE, but for using a PC in general.
    I don't really care about security in a browser. I just can't stand not having tabbed browsing. IE also seems to have a lag to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    I don't really care about security in a browser. I just can't stand not having tabbed browsing. IE also seems to have a lag to me.
    I know, I have got so used to using tabbed browsing that I hate using IE as much as it is possible to.

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen anyone use Netscape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I know, I have got so used to using tabbed browsing that I hate using IE as much as it is possible to..

never got used to the tab browsing myself. prefered whole new windows. OK it takes more RAM but I dont have a shortage (768mb)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    I have never seen anyone use Netscape.
    People used to use it. But I agree, it's been a long time since I've seen anyone use it.

ReputationRep:
    never got used to the tab browsing myself. prefered whole new windows. OK it takes more RAM but I dont have a shortage (768mb)
    tabbed feels so much nicer though

ReputationRep:

The point is, running Opera I've never needed anti-virus software or ad-aware etc. I don't have either installed. I have a router/firewall, but then that's to protect from Windows exploits rather than IE ones, generally. I know with Opera I don't have to worry about browsing a dodgy site, since nothing will affect the PC, whatever the site tries. And it's faster, has the option of tabbed browsing, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaoscomplex)
    The point is, running Opera I've never needed anti-virus software or ad-aware etc. I don't have either installed. I have a router/firewall, but then that's to protect from Windows exploits rather than IE ones, generally. I know with Opera I don't have to worry about browsing a dodgy site, since nothing will affect the PC, whatever the site tries. And it's faster, has the option of tabbed browsing, etc.
    The only problem that I have had with opera is that it is a little jumpy/buggy on certain sites.

ReputationRep:
    The only problem that I have had with opera is that it is a little jumpy/buggy on certain sites.
    Same here. I find that it has become increasingly incompatible now. Firefox is a better alternative I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    Same here. I find that it has become increasingly incompatible now. Firefox is a better alternative I say.
    And it isn't gmail compatable so I have to use firefox to check my email.

ReputationRep:
    And it isn't gmail compatable so I have to use firefox to check my email.
    hey, do you know theres a thing from google that chekcs your gmail and notify's you when you got new mail? its like the msn one. cant rmemeber the address though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    hey, do you know theres a thing from google that chekcs your gmail and notify's you when you got new mail? its like the msn one. cant rmemeber the address though...
    You talking about the program gmail notifier or whatever or is it a website?

ReputationRep:
    You talking about the program gmail notifier or whatever or is it a website?
    yeah thats it...do you know the address?

ReputationRep:
    try googling it!

ReputationRep:
    No, but I wouldn't use it anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    I rarely find an incompatible site. It must just be good luck on my part

When I do find one, say once every couple of months, it doesn't work in Firefox either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaoscomplex)
    I rarely find an incompatible site. It must just be good luck on my part

When I do find one, say once every couple of months, it doesn't work in Firefox either.
    I used a Firefox plugin that allows me to open a page in IE.. which is REALLY useful

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.