Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

40% of EU budget spent on agricultural subsidies watch

ReputationRep:
    I read this on the BBC yesterday - will post link when I'm at my PC. Is it really correct that the EU spends 40% of its entire budget on agricultural subsidies?

If so, why? That's an outrageous amount of money. Where does it go? What would the consequences be if it was reduced to say 1%? I ask because someone mentioned this in an EU debate as if it were a bad thing, but I'm not really sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It is used to bolster farmer's incomes and encourage them to not trash the environment. CAP has many flaws including the excessive cost. Reform is happening, but very slowly.

If it was reduced to 1%, we would likely see a proportion of European/UK agriculture particularly small scale farming become economically unsustainable. Which is why leave people have been saying they'll maintain subsidies or increase them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Quantex)
    It is used to bolster farmer's incomes and encourage them to not trash the environment. CAP has many flaws including the excessive cost. Reform is happening, but very slowly.

If it was reduced to 1%, we would likely see a proportion of European/UK agriculture particularly small scale farming become economically unsustainable. Which is why leave people have been saying they'll maintain subsidies or increase them.
    It also reduces the price of this food as well within the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Its a large improvement from the 70% it used to be around 30 years ago. Remember this money goes to us as well, farmers are very pro EU (obviously).

ReputationRep:
    We desperately need a majority revolution. Lets do this in 6 days everyone. Lets take back control of £350 million and spend it on our country, our families and our children.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    It also reduces the price of this food as well within the EU.
    I wouldn't call minimum pricing making things cheaper, especially when you then consider that you're paying extra for the food via taxation to pay the subsidies and by locking out cheaper imports from elsewhere via massive tariffs.

(Original post by Quantex)

I wouldn't exactly call encouraging over production not trashing the environment, if anything it's the complete opposite

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 16characterlimit)
    Its a large improvement from the 70% it used to be around 30 years ago. Remember this money goes to us as well, farmers are very pro EU (obviously).
    They're so pro EU that polls show anything from only just pro EU on aggregate to heavily against the EU

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.