Turn on thread page Beta

can you resit A levels at university? watch

ReputationRep:
    coz im gonna get rubbish grades but if i do get in they'll need improving so is it possible to resit modules while doing the first year of a degree at uni?
    thanks - just that id hate having to go back to college

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it is possible but why woud you want to? If the uni lets you in they are okay about it and will provide you with what is needed to get you up to scratch anyway?
    Can you apply to another uni through UCAS while at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    I'm sure it is possible but why woud you want to? If the uni lets you in they are okay about it and will provide you with what is needed to get you up to scratch anyway?
    yea but id like to be a teacher when im older and i doubt id get employed with d's and e's at A level even if i have a sports degree.
    i think u can apply to another uni yea

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not.

I wouldn't recommend it though, because there's not much point. A-levels are just a stepping stone to university and you might mess up your first year because of them. Within your second year, you won't care about your A-level results at all. The A-level era will seem like the dim and distant past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    yea but id like to be a teacher when im older and i doubt id get employed with d's and e's at A level even if i have a sports degree.
    i think u can apply to another uni yea
    Wouldn't it be better though if your CV said:

A-level: D's and E's

Degree: First Class degree (with honours)

-------

All you need is good GCSE results and 2 E grades at A-level to be a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Wouldn't it be better though if your CV said:

A-level: D's and E's

Degree: First Class degree (with honours)

-------

All you need is good GCSE results and 2 E grades at A-level to be a teacher.
    are you sure though, if teachers got crap results it means their not so good with the exam system

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason why you can't retake them. Many employers may wish to look at your A level grades in addition to your degree classification. This regularly happens if you study law and try and get a place in chambers etc.

ReputationRep:
    Somebody on this forum said that you haveto actually cash in your a level grades to get into Uni, which might make resitting them a problem.

ReputationRep:
    i mean can u resit them at the actual university? i dont want to go back to college lol

ReputationRep:
    You should wait till august before assuming you have failed. Anyway if you do get into a univeristy maybe you should think about why you have not done well and then try and change things at university.

If you can get a good degree result then your A lelvels won't matter too much as you're only 16/17 now. People change and work harder as they got older.

As for employability don't expect to become an academic but for many jobs I am sure you're A levels won't be a problem and your degree will give you a lot of transferable skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    i mean can u resit them at the actual university? i dont want to go back to college lol
    No, you would have to sit them at home and go to a public exam centre (maybe a college) or go back to college and do them part time. Universities only do HE qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    coz im gonna get rubbish grades but if i do get in they'll need improving so is it possible to resit modules while doing the first year of a degree at uni?
    thanks - just that id hate having to go back to college
    www.nec.ac.uk should you really wish to resit them - be warned though theyre expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    www.nec.ac.uk should you really wish to resit them - be warned though theyre expensive.
    It would be cheaper to use the adult education service provided by your local council. They offer A-level courses but would also be able to arrange doing exams. You could also sit them at your own college. However the studing involved may be detremental to your degree. You would have to use waht ever council you pay your rates (council tax) to - either your home one or where you're at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I find it no point resiting A-levels in university as you already got into uni. No need to worry about A-levels anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    I find it no point resiting A-levels in university as you already got into uni. No need to worry about A-levels anymore.
    Thats not strictly true, employees do look at A levels in a lot of cases. If you want to go onto a graduate trainee programme then good A levels are important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Thats not strictly true, employees do look at A levels in a lot of cases. If you want to go onto a graduate trainee programme then good A levels are important.

but she wants to be a teacher...in which case all she has to do is a PGCE after her degree...and whoosh shes a teacher. no extra resits needed.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    no you cant resit them, unless you can persuade the uni to let you in with no alevels, because to go to uni based on a level grades, requires you to accept you alevel results in return for the qualification, this is normally done automatically by the sixth form. If you want to resit modules you cant accept your result, so you will have to ask you teachers at school not to automatically accept them and then ask the uni if they will let you in, without strictly speaking any a levels, altho you both will know what you actually have...if that makes sense..i wanted to resit maths modules but as maths was a compulsory admission criteria for my uni course i was forced to settle with what i got originally

1) If you get onto the course you want to do with the A-levels you have, there is no point re-sitting, because future employers will look at your degree and your work experience before your A-levels.

2) If you don't get onto to course you want to do, take a gap year, re-sit, and reapply so that you can get in next time round, rather than settling for a course you don't want to do at a university you don't want to go to.

3) If your degree is sport, I'm assuming you want to be a PE teacher. In my experience, PE is one of those subjects where being a high-flier with strings of A grades is not really all that important. You can be a crap PE teacher with high grades, and conversely, an excellent one with poor grades. Your degree will count for much more than a couple of A-levels. A-levels are only your passport onto the degree course in the first place.

4) Teachers are highly sought-after. I don't think many teachers really have a lot of difficulty getting jobs, and it's not hard to get onto a PGCE course as long as you have a degree in education or in an academic subject (i.e., one that is taught as a proper subject in schools, which would make sport an academic subject.)

5) PE teachers need personality, good people skills, good management and organisational skills and good discipline. You can't take A-levels in those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airport Fairy)
    5) PE teachers need personality, good people skills, good management and organisational skills and good discipline. You can't take A-levels in those.
    That one gave me a laugh. To quote my PE teacher in Year 10, "You ought to be locked up you little freak." Hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Yes, you can.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.