The Student Room Group

AQA Physics P2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Join the NEW GCSE Science 2017 Discord Server!

https://discord.gg/JuX3GGy

This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below.
This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.
It does not contain all answers.
AQA P2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation)

1. Ball bearing in oil

2. Radiation

6. Chin up question

7. Stars

8. Water Jetpack

This is All I remember...
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Naco88
This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below or contact me on twitter (@NacoRBLX) and I will be sure to add it.
This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.
It does not contain all answers.
AQA P2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation)
1. Ball bearing in oil

6. Chin up question

7. Stars

8. Water Jetpack

This is All I remember...

someone make one for foundation please
Reply 2
Radiation
Describe the structure of an Alpha particle
6 marker
6 marker
Describe the properties of alpha, beta and gamma radiation; include - penetration through materials, etc
Describe the structure of an alpha particle?
I put it contains 2 neutrons and 2 protons.
Questions about stars, last question it said earth contains heavier things than iron, why does this prove ... ?
I put it prove there was a supernova.
Reply 6
Question 1
1. What was the mistake?
Resolution was too large (1)
2. 0.01 (2 d.p) (1)
3. To see a clear pattern (1)
4. Timed after (1)
5. The terminal velocity is higher meaning the drag is lower (use data) (3)
Reply 7
Original post by kad126
Question 1
1. What was the mistake?
2. 0.01 (2 d.p) (1)
4. Timed after (1)

Why was it after?
Reply 8
Question 2

1. Alpha - 2 protons, 2 neutrons (helium nucleus) (1)
2. What happens when an atom is ionised? Electron gets knocked off making it a positive ion (1)
3. Gamma --> least ionising (1)
4. Alpha - Not very penetrating, can be stopped by paper. Doesn't travel very far (fee cm's) as they are heavy and because they are positively charged, so they are deflected (less than beta particles). Beta - More penetrating, but can be stopped by aluminium. They are fast so have a long range in the air (few metres) and because they ate negatively charged, the are deflected in a magnetic field (more than alpha particles). Gamma - Very penetrating, can travel very long distances and because they have no charge, they are no deflected by a magnetic field. (6)
Reply 9
Original post by Mmg 1111
Why was it after?

Because the x was after the line of best fit. If it was before it was timed too early, if it was after, it was timed too late (after it dropped).
Reply 10
Original post by kad126
Because the x was after the line of best fit. If it was before it was timed too early, if it was after, it was timed too late (after it dropped).

Ah I see, thank you
There was a question on the resolution of a voltmeter and why this was suitable (2 marks)
Original post by kad126

Yes, but wasn't it travelling faster, and the graph on the left side never reached terminal velocity- because it was travelling faster?
Original post by dianmian12
Questions about stars, last question it said earth contains heavier things than iron, why does this prove ... ?
I put it prove there was a supernova.

Yes, and that only elements heavier than iron can be formed during a supernova because lighter elements are fused together.
Chin up question was 52w

260 J / 5 seconds
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by kad126

The point was after the line, so the time recorded was too long. If the time was too long, he must have started before it dropped, not after.
Original post by kad126
Question 1
1. What was the mistake?
2. 0.01 (2 d.p) (1)
4. Timed after (1)

They hit the stopwatch early, that's why the cross was to the right of the line of best fit.
Original post by Mmg 1111
Why was it after?

I thought that if the terminal velocity was higher then the drag is higher
Original post by dianmian12
Describe the structure of an alpha particle?
I put it contains 2 neutrons and 2 protons.

Same
Chin up question - the person lift his weight up 0.40 every time he did a chin up, he did 12 chin ups in 60 seconds.
Gravitational strength was 10N/kg. I think his weight was 65kg?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending