Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Our road network is fudged...1 idea on how to ease the problem watch

As we all know the roads have hit breaking point. They simply cannot cope with the ever increasing amount of traffic. What I dont understand is the government is continuing to allow people to go for driving tests. If the roads are full then surely some sort of limit should be put in place. Allowing more people on the roads is only going to make it worse for those that already drive.

One such limit might be to put an end to driving tests except in certain circumstances. (one might need a car if he has mobility problems, is a doctor or delivery driver).
    Banned drivers cannot ever get a license back altho the points limit would be much higher, say 20.
    Motorcycles dont take up as much space as a car (except a goldwing). No restrictions for bikes so people can still have mechanical private transport.

Alternatively there could be a system where a new driving test opportunity only arises when another driver loses their license for whatever reason (death, banned, visually impairment etc). Tests could be prioritized but at least the amount of drivers getting on the roads should match the amount leaving the roads, thus halting the increase in traffic.

Obviously these ideas would have to tie in with immigration for them to be most effective. There are 2 reasons these ideas will never be implemented:

1: The government is too stupid
    2: They are extremely unpopular yet is not a tax rise.

ReputationRep:
    You can't deny people personal freedom when there aren't acceptable alternatives available. Public transport isn't a viable option for huge portions of the population and motorbikes do not offer the same level of movement.

Road pricing and an increase in new road building / road expansions are the only viable options, as is increasing the investment in public transport to make it fit for purpose across the country.

ReputationRep:
    They could start by stopping trying to price people out of riding motorbikes.

Maybe reduced VAT/pricing on the purchasing of motorcycles, as well as a2 licences automatically turning to full licences after x period of time.

Could write more but effort - you get my point.

ReputationRep:
    Start riding bikes and motorbikes

(Original post by Drewski)
    You can't deny people personal freedom when there aren't acceptable alternatives available. Public transport isn't a viable option for huge portions of the population and motorbikes do not offer the same level of movement.

Road pricing and an increase in new road building / road expansions are the only viable options, as is increasing the investment in public transport to make it fit for purpose across the country.
    That would need to be in the form of double/triple decking or something, at least for major highways such as the M6. Unfortunately we will likely see Amazon warehouses on the moons of Jupiter before we see our government invest in a decent transport network, or anything else for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Start riding bikes and motorbikes
    +1

A lot of people are pussies though and would never ride one.

(Original post by fr0sr_)
    They could start by stopping trying to price people out of riding motorbikes.

Maybe reduced VAT/pricing on the purchasing of motorcycles, as well as a2 licences automatically turning to full licences after x period of time.

Could write more but effort - you get my point.
    Yeah that was a complete disaster when they introduced the new tests. Years ago you could pass the test on a 125, then after 2 years you get to ride any bike. A similar rule was never, and still isnt applicable to cars. The current system has only exacerbated existing problems while solving pretty much sod all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Yeah that was a complete disaster when they introduced the new tests. Years ago you could pass the test on a 125, then after 2 years you get to ride any bike. A similar rule was never, and still isnt applicable to cars. The current system has only exacerbated existing problems while solving pretty much sod all.
    That's what REALLY gets me angry about the current system.
    Just like (if my memory serves me correct) pillocks like Harry Styles can go and pass their test then toddle on over to the Ferrari Dealership and buy one and drive it off the forecourt, having only driven a test car (commonly 1.0L-1.6L) in their lives - without ANY further training.

The whole system is there to make money out of motorcyclists and price people out to reduce road death statistics. It's pathetic and needs to change.

ReputationRep:
    Years ago you could pass the test on a 125, then after 2 years you get to ride any bike.
    I do agree actually.

IMO:

CBT, of which is in a bit more detail than the current, with theory test and such - you can ride up to 250-300cc or x. BHP

This does NOT require you to retake, it is permanent. The rider is responsible for their own welfare and safety. (e.g. if a rider passes in 2016, doesnt ride a bike again until 2030 and crashes into a pole, thats THEIR FAULT and negligence on THEIR BEHALF. 'Nuff said.)

Not sure what I'd do about the bigger bike side of things. I feel as if it should automatically upgrade to a full licence after x years, it's down to the individual to make a smart decision to actually size up the cc's sensibly and cautiously. Just like it is with cars.

ReputationRep:
    As we all know the roads have hit breaking point. They simply cannot cope with the ever increasing amount of traffic. What I dont understand is the government is continuing to allow people to go for driving tests. If the roads are full then surely some sort of limit should be put in place. Allowing more people on the roads is only going to make it worse for those that already drive.
    We could also simply shoot people at random until congestion reduces.

The failure of the government to adopt this simple and effective policy demonstrates the failure of democracy and the stupidity of our body politic.

ReputationRep:
    The problem isnt the amount of cars on the road. But the amount of bad drivers!
    The amount of people that have nearly hit me from pulling out of junctions without looking is incredible!!! People need extra training before going on the road!
    Plus people who drive at 35 in a 60 are highly dangerous! The amount of them ive come across is incredible too!
    People need more training!
    Im by no means the best driver on the road but i go at a reasonable speed (within the limits) and make sure that im all clear before pulling out of junctions!

Plus bikes are awesome! But my parents wont let me have one or even get a license!

ReputationRep:

One such limit might be to put an end to driving tests except in certain circumstances. (one might need a car if he has mobility problems, is a doctor or delivery driver).
    Banned drivers cannot ever get a license back altho the points limit would be much higher, say 20.
    Motorcycles dont take up as much space as a car (except a goldwing). No restrictions for bikes so people can still have mechanical private transport.

Alternatively there could be a system where a new driving test opportunity only arises when another driver loses their license for whatever reason (death, banned, visually impairment etc). Tests could be prioritized but at least the amount of drivers getting on the roads should match the amount leaving the roads, thus halting the increase in traffic.

Obviously these ideas would have to tie in with immigration for them to be most effective. There are 2 reasons these ideas will never be implemented:

1: The government is too stupid
    2: They are extremely unpopular yet is not a tax rise.
    Motorcycles are death traps, terrible idea unless you want motor related fatalities to skyrocket

ReputationRep:
    The underlying issue is very simple to explain (and very difficult to solve).

Population pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Motorcycles are death traps, terrible idea unless you want motor related fatalities to skyrocket
    All about risk.
    Just because you're scared of such levels of risk doesn't mean others are.

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    terrible idea unless you want motor related fatalities to skyrocket
    So would you be one of those people who support the current ridiculous licencing system because it prices people out of riding, doing something they want to do?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.