Niyi Aderounmu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Two trains, A and B, are moving on straight horizontal tracks which run alongsideeach other and are parallel. The trains both move with constant acceleration. At timet ¼ 0 , the fronts of the trains pass a signal. The velocities of the trains are shown inthe graph below.

Find the distance between the fronts of the two trains when they have the samevelocity and state which train has travelled further from the signal.[3 marks](b) Find the time when A has travelled 9 metres further than B. [8 Marks]

This is basically a question in AQA mechanics 1B, question 8 that I am unsure on how to solve both A and B. Any help is grateful.
Link:http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...P-QP-JUN15.PDF [Question 8]
nerak99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is an area under the graph question. At t=8 and v=5.8 you have enough info to find the area for each train. The distance difference is the area difference. For part b you are still working areas. Set up an equation with area sums like part a but with t instead of 8. Add 9 to the area for one train and then solve for t.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?