Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To anyone who is doing this course/ have completed:
    How do/did you find the course in general?
    What were the most interesting and most boring modules and lectures?
    Is it necessary for you to know anything before hand i.e concepts and theories? or do they literally start from the basics?
    How hard would you rate the course out of 10? - 10 being the hardest.

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justastudent321)
    To anyone who is doing this course/ have completed:
    How do/did you find the course in general?
    What were the most interesting and most boring modules and lectures?
    Is it necessary for you to know anything before hand i.e concepts and theories? or do they literally start from the basics?
    How hard would you rate the course out of 10? - 10 being the hardest.

Thank you!!
    IR graduate here. Overall I really enjoyed the course- I found it really relevant and engaging- modules vary by uni but three that come to mind which were particularly relevant that I took included one on Britains relationship with Europe, we had a compulsory module looking at the history of relations between Russia and the West and another on globalisation.

Most interesting for me- the module on Britains relationship with Europe. Probably one of the few where I learnt a lot from lectures alone about the history of the EU and its predecessor organisations and that Britain wasn't initially accepted. It is very uni specific that one, although most unis now I would imagine would offer a module covering the EU in some form.
    Most boring- this is one most if not all unis offer as its considered essential- IR theory. I found it dull learning about theory on its own, I prefer learning facts about what actually happened. However you might find it more interesting.

It wouldn't hurt to have a read around the basic IR theories e.g. liberalism, realism however its not essential, they do start from the basics as few people study them at school.

I'd give the course a 4-5/10 for hardness. Most of the content I didn't find difficult, however it would take me a while to translate notes into essay. It's a totally different kind of essay to most of what I did in 6th form, it was more like my history coursework that I did at A2, no idea if its still the same now. It's normal to get a couple of bad marks at first as you get used to it and then pick up a bit. Talking of marks though whats considered good at uni level is different to A-Level- 60-69% is considered good, 70-79% very good and 80% plus very rare to impossible (depending on the uni) to achieve in the humanities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.