Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Especially now that AS doesn't count towards any of my A levels, can they still predict one grade above? I'm really worried, I've finsihed all my AS exams now, and I felt that I did extremely very average- I think I got a C in English Lit and History and possible if I'm lucky a B in Geography. I would be happy with the B, and I wouldn't care if my geography teacher predicted me an A or not because I'm happy with a B, however a C in English and History sounds quite poor. For GCSE I got a B in both of those, and all throughout the year I've been hitting C grades and occasionally B grades, so it's not as if it's not possible to go up a grade in a year. I'm hard working as well. However my English teacher made a comment the other day to the class and said 'automatically, your predicted grade will be your AS grade, however we look at other aspects too' this just doesn't sound convincing. I just think it's unfair that we can't be predicted a grade above, honestly if I got a C at AS and was predicted a C at A level I would be offended as I would think my teachers don't think I'm capable. I never skip lessons, I get on with my work, I think I've only ever forgotten a homework once the entire year and that was literally only to copy notes, and I handed it in only a day late. I'm a 'good' student, no I'm not an A* student and I don't always shout out the answers but i do have a good work ethic. Taking all of these things into account, can my teachers predict me a grade above my AS?

ReputationRep:
    yes lol

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, they do it because they know best. I was in the exact same boat as you and got BBC at AS and managed to persuade my teachers to predict me AAB, now i know there isn't a chance in hell i am going to get those grade, BBB at best. A-level is much much harder, i found the jump from AS to A-level harder than GCSE to AS. SO whilst one grade up may be nice, it may not always be realistic. I have to maybe face the fact that i won't get into university this year.
    However, if you really want higher grades and the teacher refuses to budge talk to your head of year, thats i what i did, even if i do regret it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheoa101)
    To be honest, they do it because they know best. I was in the exact same boat as you and got BBC at AS and managed to persuade my teachers to predict me AAB, now i know there isn't a chance in hell i am going to get those grade, BBB at best. A-level is much much harder, i found the jump from AS to A-level harder than GCSE to AS. SO whilst one grade up may be nice, it may not always be realistic. I have to maybe face the fact that i won't get into university this year.
    However, if you really want higher grades and the teacher refuses to budge talk to your head of year, thats i what i did, even if i do regret it now.
    I completely understand that but at the end of the day the Unis actually make you offers based on the predicted grades, and if I do get an offer from a uni I want to go to e.g Manchester that would really motivate me, whereas if I get predicted low grades and don't receive offers I don't think I'd work hard because there would be nothing to work towards if ygm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambermariemorgan)
    I completely understand that but at the end of the day the Unis actually make you offers based on the predicted grades, and if I do get an offer from a uni I want to go to e.g Manchester that would really motivate me, whereas if I get predicted low grades and don't receive offers I don't think I'd work hard because there would be nothing to work towards if ygm?
    I actually applied to Manchester! They want AAB. If you think you can do it then go for it. But i would maybe include a lower second choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheoa101)
    I actually applied to Manchester! They want AAB. If you think you can do it then go for it. But i would maybe include a lower second choice.
    Well for my course they want ABB so I'm hoping that's reachable lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambermariemorgan)
    Well for my course they want ABB so I'm hoping that's reachable lol
    Did you take General Studies at all, as Manchester do accept it within an offer, so you might be able to bump up your chances.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.