Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    anyone?????????

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat, graduating soon and not really knowing 'what I should do' in terms of education.

I think both of the MAs you are thinking of are very different and it seems like you haven't really made up your mind. After all I've read about postgraduate studies, I think you should be very focused and know for sure you want to study a particular Master (especially if you take out a postgraduate loan for it!). Perhaps you should take a year out, get some jobs/internships in broadcast journalism (newspaper? radio? etc) and gain some work experience in those fields you are interested in.

During my undergrad, I was interested in so many different postgraduate studies, and now I'm not even sure I would want to study those. So it's a wise decision you should make without hurrying. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Rather than do a MA in something such as journalism - you would be far better off getting a job in the field and practical experience. Work experience would be valued more by an employer !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorDC)
    Rather than do a MA in something such as journalism - you would be far better off getting a job in the field and practical experience. Work experience would be valued more by an employer !
    this basically. A masters in journalism isn't something you want really, not without work experience at least. If you can't get a job, then pack your bags and head off somewhere and work freelance for a bit.There are plenty of shorter/cheaper courses run by the NCTJ (or something) these might be better options than the masters.

Have you done any journalism related work while at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredasf)
    should i be more realistic and aim for teaching? teaching is my last resort tbh
    Behold, the British education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Behold, the British education system.
    Don't forgot 'I want long holidays' also

ReputationRep:
    Teaching shouldn't be a last resort, it should be something you have a calling to do. Many people have a long career and as part of semi-retirement they go and teach to offer their experience and knowledge to the new generation. Go after journalism if that's what you want in life. I've done part-time teaching within my flexible job role at a university. It's not easy, but it's something I've enjoyed alongside mantaining my personal career goals, because I love teaching others what I've learned on my journey so far.

Sounds like you should go ahead and do your MA.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.