Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    gcse student deciding what to take next year etc etc,

originally planning to take maths, further maths , chemistry and physics next year but i've had a change of heart and rally want to take a modern foreign language (chinese) at A level. i like physics but the things they teach at school aren't to the best of my interests and i've heard terrible things about the new specification. (i'm predicted a* for all of these subjects i'm considering taking so they're all available to me)

how would this affect my degree options?? my dream course is natural science at cambridge but i'm also interested in chemical engineering, chemistry and computer science elsewhere. however i recognise that especially for natural science further maths and maths could only be seen as one science. We do 2 mechanics modules overall in maths at my school i believe. what should i do, take physics to keep my options open?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacetechnology)
    gcse student deciding what to take next year etc etc,

originally planning to take maths, further maths , chemistry and physics next year but i've had a change of heart and rally want to take a modern foreign language (chinese) at A level. i like physics but the things they teach at school aren't to the best of my interests and i've heard terrible things about the new specification. (i'm predicted a* for all of these subjects i'm considering taking so they're all available to me)

how would this affect my degree options?? my dream course is natural science at cambridge but i'm also interested in chemical engineering, chemistry and computer science elsewhere. however i recognise that especially for natural science further maths and maths could only be seen as one science. We do 2 mechanics modules overall in maths at my school i believe. what should i do, take physics to keep my options open?
    I've taken Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics this year. Most likely will drop Economics next year. Regarding physics, as it's on the new spec I think a lot of people felt unprepared. I know I did. It's been difficult but certainly useful, hence the reason I'm carrying it on.
    I plan on doing Mechanical Engineering at university (also considered Economics) and I was also worried that they might count Maths and Further Maths as one subject, forcing me to carry on Economics next year too. However this was only the case for a couple of universities . It may vary with subjects but if it's maths related then it seems to be fine with most. No universities required more than 1 science for engineering. Not sure if this will be different for natural science, you'll have to do some research for this.
    Don't be put off by what others are saying about subjects. In my opinion anyone is capable of getting the grades they want in any subject if they're willing to put the work in. But the most important thing is to choose the subjects you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    go with what you enjoy but having a modern foreign language will help you stand out bc very few people who apply for the jobs you will apply for will have the same skill set. jobs in science with a foreign language are very well paid.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind having a big work load and you really enjoy chinese, you could possibly do chinese and physics. You could always drop one if it got too much. Maths, physics and further maths and chemistry will really bounce off each other so it shouldn't be as difficult as doing 4 unrelated A-levels.
    I do however agree that the new spec for physics is evil. I genuinely enjoy physics and got an A* at gcse but now I think i'm probably going to get a D max in the AS exams, despite the fact that I could get an A in the old spec papers If you enjoy physics and know that it will be useful for your future then don't let this put you off because everyone taking it is in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A levels in maths, fm, german, japanese, chem and phys.
    I found the languages so liberating and enjoyable to study - honestly loved them so much and would pick them over any other subject. Although it a great workload, I find language A levels the most rewarding so I really do recommend a language A level if you're into that stuff. Physics was so boring to study for, so won't really make you stand out as much as chinese would. Unless you want to do a degree in physics then go for Chinese. Do look in detail at the requirements for eng/natsci courses though because you don't want to get to year 13 and realise you should have taken physics.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.