The Student Room Group

OCR C3 (not MEI) Official Thread - Tuesday 21st June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by SGHD26716
I would say you get all method marks but lose answer marks for not working out tan b correctly and therefore getting the wrong final answers so lose 3

Ah ok that makes sense, thanks!
Original post by oloym
Yeah I did its so annoying!! glad someone else is in the same boat

Literally dw like half the people in my year got 27😂 And it was such a silly mistake as well!! Ugh
I did something really stupid on Q4 :colonhash:

Found tanA and tan B correctly, went to sub into the tan(A-B) equation but wrote tan3 - tan(-3) or whatever instead of just 3 - -3... Dumb I know and really not sure how I didn't realise where it'd gone wrong. But just the first bit will get me 4 or so marks out of 8, right?
For the last part of the exponential question I got t=31.06 years for the mass to reach 50g, therefore rounded it to t=32 years because the mass wouldn't be 50g yet if I rounded it to t=31 years?! How many marks could this lose?
Honestly how low will the grade boundaries be? Personally I found it really difficult but I feel like most people found it fairly average..what do people reckon an A* would be?
62 A*

Original post by student2734
Honestly how low will the grade boundaries be? Personally I found it really difficult but I feel like most people found it fairly average..what do people reckon an A* would be?
Ok guys so for the tan question I got tan B and tan A correct, and got 1/13 as one of the answers but 0 as the other as i stupidly did -3+3 instead of -3--3 for the top bit so I didnt get the correct second solution. How many marks would I probably lose out of 8? I got tan B as 3 and tan A as 4 and -3.
Sooooo annoying on Question 3 I got tan^3theta=27 but put 9 instead of 3!!!! So annoyed!!!
Original post by Dom1997
I can't remember the exact question but I'll try to explain how I did it. You are told that P is a point on both curves and that x=2 so you know they intersect therefore you equate them then substitute in x=2 to have one equation with a's and b's. You are then told the gradient of the curves are equal at P so differentiate both curves sub in x=2 and equate the differentials to get a second equation with a's and b's. Then solve the equations with a's and b's simultaneously to get a=6 b=5. I hope this helps?

I did exactly that method but didn't get those answers! Must have made a stupid mistake somewhere along, so annoying! Thank you though!
Reply 309
Original post by zintanax
Ok guys so for the tan question I got tan B and tan A correct, and got 1/13 as one of the answers but 0 as the other as i stupidly did -3+3 instead of -3--3 for the top bit so I didnt get the correct second solution. How many marks would I probably lose out of 8? I got tan B as 3 and tan A as 4 and -3.

You will only lose A1 for answer mark
Reply 310
If my answer is correct but working is not fully clear is there a chance I lose marks.

So for the tan(a-b) question when working out tan b, In got a degree 5 polynomial. I then wrote down the value of tan b. My answers are right, but would I lose marks for not showing every step in my working.
Reply 311
Original post by Boldon25
For the last part of the exponential question I got t=31.06 years for the mass to reach 50g, therefore rounded it to t=32 years because the mass wouldn't be 50g yet if I rounded it to t=31 years?! How many marks could this lose?

I did the same thing and I'm not sure if it is correct or not. If it is incorrect though you'd only lose 1 mark
Reply 312
Original post by SGHD26716
If my answer is correct but working is not fully clear is there a chance I lose marks.

So for the tan(a-b) question when working out tan b, In got a degree 5 polynomial. I then wrote down the value of tan b. My answers are right, but would I lose marks for not showing every step in my working.

I don't see why you'd lose any marks if your final answer was correct and there was at least a few lines of working
I don't remember any questions involving volumes of revolution or Simpson's rule. Was there any? Just to make sure I have attempted all questions.
A* grade boundaries, what we thinking?
Original post by tangotangopapa2
I don't remember any questions involving volumes of revolution or Simpson's rule. Was there any? Just to make sure I have attempted all questions.

And no rates of change either. That's time spent learning 1/4 of the syllabus wasted.
Reply 316
What did Q7iii ask, just to find new equations?
Original post by micycle
And no rates of change either. That's time spent learning 1/4 of the syllabus wasted.

Volume of revolution and rates of change can and have come up in C4, so it's not a waste of time learning it.
Original post by Mrrexxxx
A* grade boundaries, what we thinking?

People are guessing ~62 +/- 2. But the lowest ever was 58 in June 2011 so who knows? Hope we get lucky anyways.
Guys for Question 4, I can't seem to find B in the second equation it's given. Can anyone help me with this please? Many thanks.

The second equation that is given is: sinBsec^2B = 27cosBcosec^2B
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending