Edexcel A2 Government and Politics Watch

This discussion is closed.
EddieB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Is it just my centre, or did something strange go on with these papers ?

After getting excellent results for AS, my results bombed down by a large amount, resulting in me getting 478/600 UMS - two UMS points short of the A I needed.

In my modules, I got

Unit 4: B (about what I expected)
Unit 5: C (on a very tough paper)
Unit 6: D (on a paper I thought I'd done much better on).

No one in my centre who did politics - 30 people - got an A. Most people ended up in similar situations, losing lots of UMS points all over the place and falling in grades. At least five of us were on course for one, and my tutor is really surprised. He's going to complain to Edexcel, and I'd like to look into remarking but it's so damn expensive and ideally I'd like them to look at the three modules. They did a similar error last year with AS paper 2 for my centre, resulting in a complete free remark for everyone, and many people ended up with higher marks.

As it's Edexcel, nothing would surprise me. Obviously a B is still a great mark, but I've lost my firm choice because of two UMS points, which could easily just be a single mark on paper 6, as that's scaled up. And in a subject like politics, where there's no single right answer, one mark can be gained from almost anything and it's very subjective.

Cheers,

Eddie
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
what did u get in your other subjects? and what uni' offer did u miss out on?
rowei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My AQA German results were strange too. I got 261/300 (A) for the AS and only 208/300 for the A2, thanks to a mark of 40/90 on the literature paper! Can't see how I got such a low mark....
EddieB
Rep:
?
(Original post by rowei)
My AQA German results were strange too. I got 261/300 (A) for the AS and only 208/300 for the A2, thanks to a mark of 40/90 on the literature paper! Can't see how I got such a low mark....
I've noticed this with a lot of people... they seem to get a rogue low mark all of a sudden in the middle of something and it really throws everything.

A similar trend occured for my centre with General Studies B, AQA paper 4... one person I know got 100% for papers 5 and 6, and then got 25% for paper four. Most people I know got really low marks for paper 4.

I would argue that the problems of last year have not been ironed out.
rowei
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by EddieB)
I've noticed this with a lot of people... they seem to get a rogue low mark all of a sudden in the middle of something and it really throws everything.

A similar trend occured for my centre with General Studies B, AQA paper 4... one person I know got 100% for papers 5 and 6, and then got 25% for paper four. Most people I know got really low marks for paper 4.

I would argue that the problems of last year have not been ironed out.
I am really annoyed about it. Here are my marks:

Unit 1 91/105 (A)
Unit 2 75/90 (A)
Unit 3 95/105 (A)
Unit 4 92/105 (A)
Unit 5 40/90 (E)
Unit 6 76/105 (B)

I can't believe I did that badly in Unit 5! Weird or what?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rowei)
I had a similar thing with my French A Level (Edexcel). All my marks were pretty good, apart from the A2 oral for which I got 41/90. Didn't stop me getting an A, but still :/.
EddieB
Rep:
?
(Original post by rowei)
I am really annoyed about it. Here are my marks:

Unit 1 91/105 (A)
Unit 2 75/90 (A)
Unit 3 95/105 (A)
Unit 4 92/105 (A)
Unit 5 40/90 (E)
Unit 6 76/105 (B)

I can't believe I did that badly in Unit 5! Weird or what?
Yup. This is definitely suspicious as it's exactly the same thing that was being reported last year, with people getting A's in so many modules and then getting a U all of a sudden. I don't think the problems last year were ever really investigated fully... Mike Tomlinson should have ordered re-marking, not re-grading, and it might have exposed the shoddy workings of this exam system.

I can't believe that Edexcel charges £35 for a non-priority remark. That's extortionate.
rowei
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by EddieB)
Yup. This is definitely suspicious as it's exactly the same thing that was being reported last year, with people getting A's in so many modules and then getting a U all of a sudden. I don't think the problems last year were ever really investigated fully... Mike Tomlinson should have ordered re-marking, not re-grading, and it might have exposed the shoddy workings of this exam system.

I can't believe that Edexcel charges £35 for a non-priority remark. That's extortionate.
I'm so annoyed that the BBC is today reporting that A-level exams were fairly graded this year and that there hasn't been a repeat of last year's marking fiasco. If this is the case, why are so many people reporting rogue marks, such as AAAAAU or AAAAAE? This surely cannot be right. I personally would like to see another investigation, because it looks to me as if grades are, once again, being artificially downgraded.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.65%
Excited (154)
9.1%
Worried (304)
17.97%
Terrified (376)
22.22%
Meh (162)
9.57%
Confused (37)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (232)
13.71%
Impatient (213)
12.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise