Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i need a title for a philosophy EPQ and i cant have anything which i have learnt in class so that includes plato, aristotle, kant, aqauinas, arguments for existence of god,problem of evil.
    for those that dont know, an EPQ means extended project qualification that counts as half an a level. it consists of independent research on any topic.

some topics ive considered are
    1. is our universe real or just an illusion
    2. do numbers really exist?

ReputationRep:
    i did an EPQ based on philosophy last year and decided to focus around the topic of epistemology and the study of knowledge - it was interesting and quite good however i think whatever topic you pick you will get a bit bored of eventually!

in terms of the numbers topic i find that quite hard to be explored philosophically; it may be better to stick to a well know topic within philosophy (e.g metaphysics or epistemology) and then pick a question loosely based around that so that you can get a lot of research and show all of that research thoroughly. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flirps)
    i did an EPQ based on philosophy last year and decided to focus around the topic of epistemology and the study of knowledge - it was interesting and quite good however i think whatever topic you pick you will get a bit bored of eventually!

in terms of the numbers topic i find that quite hard to be explored philosophically; it may be better to stick to a well know topic within philosophy (e.g metaphysics or epistemology) and then pick a question loosely based around that so that you can get a lot of research and show all of that research thoroughly. good luck!
    thanks.do you think this question would be okay "is our universe real?" and i was thinking of including one side of the argument with quantum physics and the other about the world is an illusion because we got told to do a topic that has 2 sides of an argument to it.

also if i do epistemology, what kind if things could i include like scholars etc?? as im not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paula2578)
    thanks.do you think this question would be okay "is our universe real?" and i was thinking of including one side of the argument with quantum physics and the other about the world is an illusion because we got told to do a topic that has 2 sides of an argument to it.

also if i do epistemology, what kind if things could i include like scholars etc?? as im not sure.

yeah something like that seems interesting! it's definitely worth doing a 2 sided argument because then you have structure and know that information either fits in one side or the other etc; it sounds like a really interesting basis for a project! are you interested in physics or maths etc?
    what i found was that my question "is knowledge innate or acquired" was difficult because i had to define what kind of knowledge i was talking about, so as long as you can really narrow down onto a subject/particular topic then you'll be fine, such as being able to define what you mean by 'universe' and keeping that focus throughout the project you'll be fine
    yeah i also did mine with two arguments so i focussed on the idea of rationalism vs empiricism which are the two conflicting ideas in epistemology; i read a few introduction books and epistemology guides over the summer to get me started on my subject and that's when i really narrowed in on what scholars/philosophers i was going to use.

let me know if you'll need any more advice/help I'm not sure how good i'll be at it but i'm more than happy to help!

ReputationRep:
    yeah something like that seems interesting! it's definitely worth doing a 2 sided argument because then you have structure and know that information either fits in one side or the other etc; it sounds like a really interesting basis for a project! are you interested in physics or maths etc?
    what i found was that my question "is knowledge innate or acquired" was difficult because i had to define what kind of knowledge i was talking about, so as long as you can really narrow down onto a subject/particular topic then you'll be fine, such as being able to define what you mean by 'universe' and keeping that focus throughout the project you'll be fine
    yeah i also did mine with two arguments so i focussed on the idea of rationalism vs empiricism which are the two conflicting ideas in epistemology; i read a few introduction books and epistemology guides over the summer to get me started on my subject and that's when i really narrowed in on what scholars/philosophers i was going to use.

let me know if you'll need any more advice/help I'm not sure how good i'll be at it but i'm more than happy to help!
    thanks for the help. tbh im not really interested in maths or physics.
    i was thinking if including democritus who said that everythung is made if atoms and also epicurus who said that everythung occurs as a result of atoms colliding.
    i also think i will.find some scholars or psychologists who say that the world is an illusion or is perceived by pur brains as our illusion.
    i want to i clude a psychological element un it becaus im not sure whether i will be studying philosophy or psychology or both (combined honours) at uni so i want to kind of do a bit of both.
    i really appreciate ur help and advice ...many thanksxx

ReputationRep:

Sorry to kind of hijack and revive this thread, but when you say you focussed on an Epistomology type of EPQ... what sort of question did you choose? I'm looking to do one based on either Logic or Epistemology, and was wondering what kinds of titles would be good on the Epistemological side of things. I was considering 'Are Philosophical Propositions considered "Mind Dependent or Independent?", or on the Logic side of things, "Are all 'Good Statements' Valid?". Would you have any other ideas for the Epistemology side (as i find that a tad easier)? Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.