Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Turkey Bans Gay Pride Parade in Istanbul After Threats of Violence Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016...ref=world&_r=0

The governor of Istanbul has banned gay, lesbian and transgender individuals from holding pride parades at their usual venue, citing security concerns.

It said Friday that marches departing from the Turkish city's iconic Taksim neighborhood would not be allowed "for the safety of our citizens and the participants."

Istanbul has witnessed a series of deadly bombings in the past year including two suicide attacks targeting tourists. One of them hit the same crowded thoroughfare of Istiklal Avenue where the pride parade is usually held.

ReputationRep:
    Such a shame

Hope this goes on regardless

ReputationRep:
    If it goes on, I just hope everyone is safe and nothing bad happens.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey for the EU!
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I'd rather this happened than someone reporting tomorrow that 30 people had been killed or injured in a blast at a gay pride parade that the authorities knew there were threats towards.

That doesn't excuse Turkey's wider stance on the LGBT issue (seen in that "50 perverts" comment a few days ago), but I feel that, for this particular case, the ban was warranted.

ReputationRep:
    Good. I don't understand what these gay pride parades look to aim for, it's better to ban instead of risking lives of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leukocyte)
    Good. I don't understand what these gay pride parades look to aim for, it's better to ban instead of risking lives of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it bristles the beards of intolerant muslims, then it's worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    If it bristles the beards of intolerant muslims, then it's worth it
    Do you want a cookie?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leukocyte)
    Do you want a cookie?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ALWAYS

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.