Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You have to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think mainly personality, I've recently been attracted to a lot of people purely because of who they are, not what they look like. It's interesting to experience suddenly being really physically attracted to someone you wouldn't have looked twice at before because of growing emotional attraction.

Looks are still important but as John Green said in Paper Towns: “That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfast cereals based on color instead of taste.”

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's going to say a bit of both.

If you're asking which one I'd prioritize; personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil fever)
    You have to be honest
    Gonna be that one honest person and say mainly looks(then again if she's an absolute ***** then obviously no matter how good looking, i ain't going with her xD)

Definitely personality, as as much as I may be attracted to a persons looks, they change and it's a very short lived attraction, whereas being attracted to someone's personality is better for long term.
    However it's undeniable that looks play a part, but it's different for everyone. Like I might be more attracted to a blonde guy, whilst my friend my prefer the "dark and handsome" guy. I think if we're talking about within a relationship, personality is definitely most important, but whether you are physically attracted to your partner also plays a role but really they could be a -5 to some one but a solid 10/10 to you, so it doesn't really matter.

Moral of the story, I could not be with someone who has a horrible personality, or I feel like I could have a better conversation with a brick wall, regardless of their looks

ReputationRep:
    60% looks 40% personality

ReputationRep:
    Looks first, personality later since I'm first met by looks.

I actually find people's personality changes more than their looks lol
    the only thing that doesn't change is humour, the rest does/can.

I GENUINELY go for 55% looks and 45% personality.

ReputationRep:
    40% looks 60% personality

ReputationRep:
    Personality keeps you around; So i guess personality. And plus looks change over time.

ReputationRep:
    Looks initially get me attracted and then that attraction might increase/decrease once you get to know their personality. That being said attraction is weird and you may not intially like someone but grow to like them over time for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    Depend what you consider which. If looks is purely just what they look like then not many people will consider just looks. Do looks consider how good they are in bed (or how romantic they are for the under 15's on this thread) or is that a personality trait? It's all too vague. If you're categorising absolutely everything about a person other than how they look into "personality" then few people will have a preference for looks.

Although even then I really have to be physically attracted to someone to date them and be intimate. I'm friends with tons of frankly ugly people that doesn't bother me, but I couldn't date someone I don't find attractive. So I don't really know what you're asking tbh. Are there people that would date people they're not even slightly physically attracted to? Other than the extreme cases, I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    both, looks is what draws me in and i'm a sucker for a cute face so if you've got a nice face i'll be drawn to you and then personality will decide whether i want to get to know you or not. if you've got a **** personality i'll be put off straight away!!

ReputationRep:
    Looks always spark my interest obviously but if youre a ******** or bad in bed we're probably over

ReputationRep:
    tbh personality first but I couldn't be with someone I didn't find physically attractive

ReputationRep:
    20%looks 80%personality
    Id rather be able to have a conversation for hours than just think of them as something pretty to look at.
    Looks are generally how I'd initially judge a type of person though and then get to know them or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    Tbh I think mainly personality, I've recently been attracted to a lot of people purely because of who they are, not what they look like. It's interesting to experience suddenly being really physically attracted to someone you wouldn't have looked twice at before because of growing emotional attraction.

Looks are still important but as John Green said in Paper Towns: “That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfast cereals based on color instead of taste.
    I would genuinely choose cereal based on colour. I mean, if it was disgusting I wouldn't buy it again.

Plus, have you not heard of Fruit Loops?

ReputationRep:
    beauty is only skin deep. what you have inside is important.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.