Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if my credentials would allow me I submit a competitive PhD application to low-mid tier astrophysics departments researching around extragalactic astronomy or instrumentation/optical telescope systems.

I have a low 2:1 in Physics with Astronomy (MPhys) degree from Durham University. My results in second year were bad but I'd improved over the years. By my 4th year I averaged 69% in the advanced astronomy module, 64% in Lasers/quantum computing, 57% in general relativity/galaxy formation. My masters project was awarded 65% although I expected to get a bit higher tbf.

Is doing a PhD (funded) with these grades completely out of the question.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    You need to ask the lecturers/tutors who teach you. They will know the most about your potential and the opportunities and funding available in that sector. The most anyone on TSR is likely to be able to offer is a generic - you might get an offer, but you are unlikely to be competitive for funding - which is pretty much everyone's position!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can do a PhD with a 2:1. Your marks in your modules may well be looked at in making a decision. Your knowledge with lasers may help you a lot with optical experiments. Try looking for some space-related ones. They will probably be related to satellite design in some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    Yes, you can do a PhD with a 2:1. Your marks in your modules may well be looked at in making a decision. Your knowledge with lasers may help you a lot with optical experiments. Try looking for some space-related ones. They will probably be related to satellite design in some way.
    If its any use I did a third year team project under Airbus developing the basics for an asteroid lander and got 70%.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.