Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I started a pgce course in 2014 and withdrew from the course in December. I got a student loan and grant payment in the January. My funding then stopped after this. But in July I was asked to pay it back and I stupidly had spent the money. So now I pay it back monthly which I agreed with the student loan company to pay back £50 a month on the loan and grant overpayment.

I have a place for September 2016 for a masters course and want to apply for the postgraduate loan with student finance. I'm wondering whether my student loan & grant overpayment will be taken from the postgraduate loan if that makes sense? E.g. If I'm entitled for the full £10,000 would they then take what I owe from my loan & grant overpayment from this amount? So I'd have £7,500 but have to repay £10,000. Or will it not if affect it?

ReputationRep:
    The policy says "Applicants will not be eligible for PGL if they have outstanding student loan arrears or have previouslybeen found to be ‘unfit’ for student support (e.g. because of attempted fraud)."

I'm wondering if my grant and loan over payment means i'm in arrears? I have set up a repayment plan and pay a certain amount each month and have never missed a payment.

ReputationRep:
    Please help as I'd be going from employment into to studying and I don't want to get my hopes up of getting a postgraduate loan

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have the same issue with regards to an overpayment but have an instalment. I have however applied for the PGL for my Master this year and it has been approved for the full £10,000 with the payment schedule in place. I also called and was told that it has all been approved and just need confirmation from the Uni before payment can be released. Hope this helps! I think you should just apply and see what you are approved for rather than just leave your job or call and explain and get advice. Hope it goes well
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi

Your loan over payment will not be deducted from your post graduate loan.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.