Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is the US coping without being in the EU? Watch

^^^

ReputationRep:
    America isn't a european country or even on the same land mass... Why would it want to be in the EU? Do you even know what the EU is?

ReputationRep:
    Last time I checked the US is neither in or near Europe so I am confused what point is trying to be made.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tamil fever)
    ^^^
    Why would the USA want to be in the EU? Its a superpower, it has 300m+ people. and is part of NAFTA.

What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    Being surrounded by so many European countries (not to mention, of course, the fact that they're in Europe), I'm sure they feel pretty left out.

Why on earth would a country in the continent of North America be in the European Union?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil fever)
    ^^^
    I advise you to do some research. Look at their currency, stock prices, etc.

ReputationRep:
    a better question is "why is Hawaii part of the United States" ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Or Alaska.

ReputationRep:
    Not bad at all. They do things big and better than us Euro weenies. Just look at the size of their food portions and waistlines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Or Alaska.
    Hawaii is a group of Islands, like our country. Alaska is attached to the US and A like Norway.

ReputationRep:
    Hawaii is a group of Islands, like our country. Alaska is attached to the US and A like Norway.

I mean, I'm no expert but "attached" is really pushing it. Looks like it should be part of Canada!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hawaii had a monarchy , which was overthrown with the help of the US, i then became a Repiblic and when whent to become a US protectorate and finally a state.
    Alaska was sold to the USA by the Russians when they ran out of money.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Why would the USA want to be in the EU? Its a superpower, it has 300m+ people. and is part of NAFTA.

What's your point?
    WOAH!why u being so rude?

The point that am trying to make is I didn't know so I thought if I asked u guys u would answer my question.but u guys are being so rude.
    The only reason I made this post is cause i didn't know and i thought u guys would give me a simple answer.u guys just made me sad:(

Am sorry I didn't know.I didn't know it was a crime not knowing.
    Anyways thank you for answering my question.much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    A lot better than we would, considering their far larger population and global competitiveness. In a lot of ways though, it's the EU on steroids - with a balance of powers between invididual states and the federal government. Not dissimilar to some visions of the EU in the future if it were to gain more power, at least over Eurozone nations.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

What's your point?
    The EU has 500m+ and it's EFTA extension.

What's your point? At what population and economic union size does independence become undesirable? 70 million, 150 million, 299 million? Ect....

(Original post by emmald583)
    Being surrounded by so many European countries (not to mention, of course, the fact that they're in Europe), I'm sure they feel pretty left out.

Why on earth would a country in the continent of North America be in the European Union?
    Why would an island in the Atlantic wish to be in the European Union? At what landmass size does membership of the EU become undesirable.

A very good point Bear, i applaud thee.

Hawaii had a monarchy , which was overthrown with the help of the US, i then became a Repiblic and when whent to become a US protectorate and finally a state.
    Alaska was sold to the USA by the Russians when they ran out of money.
    Puerto Rico voted to become a state in 2012 although it was only a referendum held by the local government and i don't think congress has made any progression on the issue.

(Original post by Saoirse:3)
    A lot better than we would, considering their far larger population and global competitiveness. In a lot of ways though, it's the EU on steroids - with a balance of powers between invididual states and the federal government. Not dissimilar to some visions of the EU in the future if it were to gain more power, at least over Eurozone nations.
    Why is the US more competitive than the UK, an EU country or even the Euro-zone? Is this solely due to population size, if so at what point does membership become undesirable.

Why not Leave and seek union with the US if so?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    1. That it is a large country and can manage a degree of economic self sufficiency. It has regional trade ties of its own and doesnt need to be in the EU.
    2. Why is Bears point a good one? It is a state because of a series of events because of the close hostorical ties moving from annextaion to protectorate to statehood.
    Did anyone ask about Puerto Rico??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Why would an island in the Atlantic wish to be in the European Union? At what landmass size does membership of the EU become undesirable.
    Are you talking about Greenland? If so, Denmark is its sovereign state and I would assume that is why.

ReputationRep:
    No no no.
    You mean how will the us cope once the uk is out of the eu?
    The uk are they eyes and ears for the us of the inside business in the eu.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.